Brainwashed review by George Harrison

• Released: Nov 19, 2002
George Harrison: Brainwashed

The music on Brainwashed is sadly beautiful, reflective, bluesy, folky and acoustic. It is a myriad of acoustic guitars, ukeleles, slide guitar and nice little flourishes thanks to a more restrained Jeff Lynne and George's son, Dhani who "tidied it up". This is the album George was working on for a number of years until his dignified passing. George displays everything that characterises him, this record reeks of George as Dhani puts it. I'd like to think that this record was appreciated not because of his passing, but because it is probably his best album after All Things Must Pass.

Lyrics are as good as any Lennon and McCartney. Lyrics are shaped by life experience, pain, humour, mortality, honesty, love and spirituality. The music equally reflects these issues and works well to present them in a sad but true form. George's voice may had been suffering the effects of cancer but it is the dignified, contempted voice of a real human being, it is emotive and true, has character and holds up admirably for a guy who passed soon after. His voice regained a certain deepness and added character that in my opinion got better as time went on.

It ranks with his best, 2nd to ATMP. Vintage George Harrison is almost as good as it gets. Each song is great, no throwaways. I love the album in that it is one last journey, visit from George, it is a very humourous, dignified and relatively upbeat record from one facing inevitable demise. There is nothing to hate besides George is no longer with us but I know he is in a better place. No more worries, no more pain. If this was stolen I would buy it and place it at the front of my collection.