The Concert For Bangladesh [DVD] review by George Harrison

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
George Harrison: The Concert For Bangladesh [DVD]

George Harrison, probably the most underrated of all The Beatles, makes what could be the greatest live album, next to the Allman Brothers legendary Fillmore East album, into a DVD of the same concert. George did this concert to help the country of his friend, Ravi Shankar (some might know him as the father of jazz singer Norah Jones). The album starts out with unexpected music of the culture of Bangladesh, a 17-minute song. Although some might not like the beginning, it takes off with the music of guitarist George Harrison, Billy Preston, Ringo Starr, Leon Russell, Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan.

Content — 9
The lyrics for the most part are good, depending on who you listen to. Harrison's lyrics are above average. Billy Preston displays an electrifying performance with "That's The Way God Planned It", which is probably the most underrated song on the album. The lyrics of "It Don't Come Easy", from Ringo, are decent. Leon Russell's energetic cover of the Rolling Stones "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is well-done. The lyrics of "Youngblood" are just what you would expect from the blues. And of course, the lyrics of all the Bob Dylan songs are poetic, highly above average, and the reason he is in the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. Eric Clapton does excellent guitar work as usual, and he even plays slide (which he rarely does) on "My Sweet Lord". The DVD that I have is a double-disc with a very good documentary. George Harrison "Something" is a terrific live performance, and the song didn't really appeal to me until I heard the live version.

Production Quality — 9
The production is very good coming from a recording from 1970. There aren't any added effects which I always like in a music DVD. The camera work also isn't bad at all.

In my opinion, this is the best DVD by George Harrison or any other Beatle. One of he best live performances I've heard. It made Harrison comparable in live albums to the Allman Brothers Band, perhaps the greatest live band. It contains once in a lifetime performances all in two discs. There will probably never be a concert with Harrison, Clapton, Ringo Starr, Leon Russell, the late Billy Preston and Bob Dylan all together ever again, so you don't want to miss this oppurtunity. The music is energetic, electrifying, and has very talented song writing.

DoTheEvolution
    I love this DVD. I just got a copy of the Vinyl off of eBay, should be coming my way soon, which I can't wait for. It's one of my favourite shows. 10
    JonBlaze
    George is the man and is one of the most underrated guitar players ever
    Maj_Tom
    Ya I love his playing. It was never like "Oh, heres a guitar solo" With him the music just kind of slipped into it and it meshed so well with the rest of the band.
    VoodooChild15
    I just picked up a copy of this album on vinyl at a thrift store for three bucks. Gotta love George.
    JacksMyHero
    i saw it at the rock and roll hall of fame. My dad actually went to this concert when he lived in nyc. The sitars were pretty cool, but for me a little too long.
    FloydFan89
    george is a huge insparation to me. And this concert is probably one of the best i've ever heard. R.I.P George