Geronimo Black Review

Geronimo Black: Geronimo Black
Release Date: 1972
Label: One Way
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock
While the initial attraction of Geronimo Black might lie in its Zappa connection, this effort firmly stands on its own merits and equally unique consortium of versatile talents.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Geronimo Black Reviewed by: apples&oranges, on january 12, 2007

Sound: Geronimo Black's debut 1972 LP makes me question why they never got any recognition, at all! It sounds like ZZ Top with an avante garde twist, which is a deadly combination. They sound is mainly bluesy guitar and very bluesy sax solos. Somewhat of a supergroup of sorts, Jimmy Carl Black, Bunk Gardner, Tjay Contrelli, Denny Walley, Tom Leavey and Andy Cahan. This album is way better than I expected it to be. I'd be lost if I hadn't had purchased this fine piece of work. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Low Ridin Man - a great opening number, reminds me instantly of ZZ Top. Denny Walleys wah wah guitar makes this song awesome. One of my sure favorites, sung by the indian of the group, Jimmy Carl Black. 02. Siesta - a real surprise song compared to the others on this album. it's very freeflowing and relaxing. Bunk Gardners sax solos are amazingly great. A real standout. 03. Other Man - the first Denny Walley sung song of this LP. Very bluesy guitar solo in the middle make this song perfect. 04. L.A. County Jail '59 C/S - a very cool song, starts out with some studio trickery with the fading out of the "toke, toke, toke, toke," which is very standout. Tjay Contrellis voice makes this song what it is though. Very cool track. 05. Let Us Live - Andy Cahan's first song. Starts with a cool piano riff and leads into some great guitar and sax work. Lyrics are very familiar sounding. This song was released as a single back in '72. 06. Bullwhip - my favorite song on the album. The lyrics are so perfect with the sax riffs that this song is definetly standout. The final sax solo is amazing. Lyrics are perfectly sung by Contrelli. 07. Quakers Earthquake - an instrumental that shows Bunk Gardners versatility on the sax, very free flowing with a harpischord backing by Andy Cahan. A nice little number. 08. Gone - one of the best songs on here. The lyrics are very cool for the music. The acoustic guitar makes this song great. The little keyboard? Flute? Solo in the middle is amazing too. A sure listen. 09. An American National Anthem - Jimmy Carl Black's magnum opus. A protest song about his indian people. Very cool piano riff by possibly Bunk Gardner. One of my favorites. The talking at the end gives this song that little edge that puts it above all the others. 10. '59 Chevy - was released as a single back in '72 with "Let Us Live". Very catchy song with a good story. It just dosnt fit in with the other songs though. Very cool keyboard riff in the intro. // 10

Overall Impression: Was far better than I expected. It makes me sad that Geronimo Black never got big. Who knows what they could have done, they could have even been mentioned in the same breath of ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin. Some things are not meant to be though. I've read somewhere they lost the record deal due to heavy drinking and partying. What a shame they didn't get to go longer. Definetly buy this album, please, you wont regret it. // 10

Comments