Gigantour, Vol. 2 [DVD] review by Gigantour

• Released: Apr 22, 2008
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 8
Gigantour: Gigantour, Vol. 2 [DVD]

If you weren't able to attend the 2nd annual Gigantour (which included the likes of Lamb of God, Opeth, Arch Enemy, and of course, Megadeth), you get an opportunity to experience it vicariously through a new live DVD compilation. Gigantour 2 features a batch of the strongest performances from a date at the BankAtlantic Center in Florida, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at how each band originally got noticed by the metal master himself, Dave Mustaine. While there will be some of you out there who feel certain songs should have made it on to the video, the makers of Gigantour 2 did a decent job of showing a well-rounded overview of the concert. As the headliner, Megadeth is certainly considered the main attraction, but interestingly enough Mustaine doesn't necessarily steal the show. Don't get me wrong -- the band definitely is an absolute marvel to watch in terms of the guitar work between Mustaine and Glen Drover. It's just that there are other performances that are a lot stronger in the stage presence department. Take No Prisoners, The Scorpion, and Washington Is Next! are included in the Megadeth show, and you also get the bonus of Peace Sells as an extra. If anything, the DVD does show the professionalism that Megadeth exudes during a concert, and it's amazing how easy they make it all look. Seriously, Drover looks like he's just strolling through the park when he tackles an insanely hard solo. If you're looking for a bit more energy and charisma onstage, check out Arch Enemy or Overkill. These 2 bands deliver vibrant performances in very different ways. Witnessing Arch Enemy's beautiful frontwoman Angela Gossow sound like a demon from hell is startling, but fascinating. Then you've got old school metal band Overkill, which truly makes you feel like you have been transported into the heyday of metal in the 1980s. From the incredible riffs of Dave Linsk to vocalist Bobby Blitz Ellsworth's over-the-top persona, it makes for a memorable show. If you're a lover of all things guitar, Gigantour is truly a dream come true. Song after song on the DVD is dedicated to amazing riff work, with Lamb of God one of the biggest highlights (particularly in Something To Die For). Opeth is just as strong, but you also get to see the Swedish band's softer, slower side during their performance of The Leper Infinity. It adds such a nice contrast to the full-on distortion in every other song and definitely makes Opeth stand out more from the other bands.

Content — 8
Besides the 13 live performances, there is a bonus section that answers plenty of questions about the tour and how the bands came to be involved with it. Dave Mustaine provides commentary about the bill, and he's incredibly complementary to the younger bands that are basically getting a huge booster by being on Gigantour. It also gives some interesting details about the highs (desperate concertgoers receiving a miracle all-access pass) and lows (a beer gets tossed on to a console and ruins a good portion of the concert), and it's a pretty honest, no-frills look at what actually happened on the tour.

Production Quality — 8
The concert footage isn't necessarily glitzy or even that polished, but I think that it would be safe to assume that Dave Mustaine would primarily be concerned with the musical quality -- and that's very much present. It's fantastic to see each band member getting equal camera time, something that seems a rarity these days. There are so many live videos that become all about the frontman, but Gigantour 2 is dedicated to giving each player his due.

There are going to be people out there who think a particular band should have been able to have a few more songs added to the playlist, but the makers of Gigantour 2 kept a fairly decent balance. I'm not sure if they actually captured Megadeth's most energetic moments onstage, but Mustaine and Drover honestly just have to solo the whole time to make it interesting -- and they do that in full. The bonus documentary features some great behind-the-scenes material and interviews with everyone from Lamb of God to the stage manager to the production assistants. This is a DVD that definitely hasn't forgotten about the little people, and that was one of the most refreshing aspects to it all.

not_dead_enough
    Sounds awesome! Though I wish he would release a DVD of an Australian Gigantour...or at least have a bit of correlation between the various shows. The DVD hardly recaptures Gigantour for us aussies when we only saw 2 of the bands on there. Still, they make for an awesome live DVD!
    JRB Dog!!
    Megallica666 wrote: god i wish i could see this tour. i have never seen megadeth live in person and i want to so bad.^i dont think they play 99ways to die very often live
    nahh they dont b/c ive seen them twice and they didnt play that song but it is a GREAT song
    johnbonham
    Obie wrote: Vrstone87 wrote: johnbonham wrote: dave mustaine is my god He's a christian now....you worship his god too? hahahaha
    ok. i said i think he is god. thats because i worship his singing and playing ability. who cares if he's cristian - he's a genius. i dont believe in god, doesnt mean i disagree with it.
    Megadeth2011
    devilex121 wrote: did any of you guys manage to go this year's gigantour? i couldnt
    April 19 Louisville, Kentucky. Amazing show. And I had backstage passes. They were all really cool.
    TrasherFromHell
    Are all the performances filmed from the Florida show? I was there, front row all the time! I wanna see if I'm spotted among the crowd at some point. That show was one of the best concerts I've ever seen with the best line up, I remember when I saw the line up for the first time and I just didn't believe how good it was, and also the show was only 5 minutes away form my house, it was a perfect day!
    PS2178
    It seems like it is going to be memorable like the DVD: "That One Night In Buenos Aires"
    lzrdsixsix6
    how very rude lol
    Megallica666
    Matt_1213
    The Minorthreat wrote: So stop with he ****ing facepalms they're not funny anymore. G-tour looks sick!
    -facepalm-
    Spiritcrusher21
    ha I was at the concert while they were filming that night. My friend got to meet Dave but I never did
    Burrito031
    graduation falls on the SAME EXACT DATE gigantour does! same time and everything. i would much rather go to that than graduation, but eh, graduation only falls once in a life time. but yet... so is this concert... hmm..
    PopPunkPotHead
    I saw Megadeth april 30th and it ruled all Chris Broderck is awesome I think I just love to see anyone playing ibanez tho
    johnyfacemelter
    i was at gigantour on the 3rd, great show, was slightly disappointed in the track list for in flames and megadeth. how could they not play 99 ways to die.....still a great show
    Vrstone87
    johnbonham wrote: dave mustaine is my god
    He's a christian now....you worship his god too?
    Magero
    Burnt Ice
    :o -facepalm- x2
    Nothingness666
    Burnt Ice wrote: Magero wrote: "Opeth is just as strong, but you also get to see the Swedish bands softer, slower side during their performance of The Leper Infinity." The Leper INFINITY?! -facepalm- :o -facepalm- x2
    -facepalm- x3
    ultimo101
    Washington Is Next! How did they play this song 8 years ago when it was released on their most recent album 2
    ultimo101
    BlisteringDDj
    ultimo101 wrote: nvm I confused gigantour with the 10th annual pot march which was two days after it thinking gigantour 2 was 8 years ago lol. I just woke up -_-
    Haha, blame it on the sun! (I do that as well -_
    Obie