Pawnshop Guitars Review

Gilby Clarke: Pawnshop Guitars
Release Date: 1995
Label: Virgin
Genres: Hard Rock, Album Rock
Gilby Clarke's Pawnshop Guitars is an engaging collection of relaxed, rootsy hard rock.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Pawnshop Guitars Reviewed by: PIKE POUNDER, on october 17, 2005

Sound: The sound of this varies heavily from the slightly harder style of rock, to some fun bluesey riff's comming straight from your speakers. Gilby had created a lot of catchy and unique styles on this album. I really find no problems with other then a couple songs there is a sence of reptition if you listen to it long enough, that is only on terms of being picky. If you can appreciate the style, then you'll love the what's comming from Gilby's solo stuff. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics actually were surprisingly good to me! I bought the album thinking it was an ex-gunner showing his musical tallents and what he can do with a guitar, but the lyrics really stand out to me in this one. Gilby's got a real tallent for it, and has such a variety as well. Some songs are fun, friendly and funny, where-as others are deep, and tell such great stories. The topics in alot of them tend to be based on an out-lawed life of the southern states, which could be the only problem I can really find, rather then the lyrics varying on topics. But truthfully, that doesn't bother me a bit. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I truthfully find this to be one of my favourite albums I own. Which is an amazing thing considering that it's not a big-name band such as Zeppelin, or Floyd or something. Of course Gilby hit it big when playing with Guns n' Roses, but this solo stuff really showed the world he isn't a quiet rythem guitarist who'se only duty was to replace a founding member. It showed he knew what he was talking about, and could pull of his own stuff, and prove his style to the world. I really can't find many overall problems to put down on, because it's got all the guest appearences on it (Slash, Duff, Matt, Axl etc.) and some stunning things. I would recommend this album to anyone who knows how to appreicate the style comming from Gilby Clarke. // 10

Comments