Rubber review by Gilby Clarke

• Released: Sep 29, 1998
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Gilby Clarke: Rubber

This record really reminds me of good time rock and roll. It's not full of sing-along chorus' or 3 minutes solos, but what comes across instead is that Gilby Clarke is clearly a talented guitar player and he has a great ear for a good melody. The reason I bought this album was because it was by "the guy from GN'R" (it actually had a sticker saying that on the front), but after listening to track 1, "Kilroy Was Here" I realised he was more than that.

None of the songs particuarly stick out lyrically. The songs aren't corny or poorly written so although they don't aid the album much, they do nothing to hinder it either. One good thing is that they are often simple which is means you pick them up pretty quickly, and that's no bad thing because you'll be singing along in no time, "The Haunting" is a great example of this.

One recommendation I would make is don't pick up this album expecting anything like Guns N' Roses, because it's really nothing like them at all. Gilby Clarke has a wealth of experience with other bands that and this shows in his live album "99 Live" which along with this CD are great assets to any collection.

sg4eva
    Personally I didn't really care for most of this album. I love Gilby Clarke, but as far as I'm concerned, Pawnshop Guitars was the only great album he ever put out.
    guitar2slash
    i really havent had any respect for gilby clarke since he did that reality show supernova or whatever, if hes so old school rock n roll he wouldnt sell out like that
    guitarwhiz234
    gtdude114 , are u kidding slash is having a great career after GnR and besides look what happen to "Gnr" after they all left . Listen to Slashs Snakepit CD " its 5 o clock somewhere a kickass CD that could of saved GnR if axl wasnt sych a duesh bag
    thegreatbigmout
    if there's one thing slash and clarke both did that was smart, it was leave GNR behind, and more specifically, the ego-tistical over emotional Axl
    MickyD_Stud
    yeah thats tru making velvet revolver was the best thing slah and the other members did