Rubber Review

Gilby Clarke: Rubber
Release Date: Sep 29, 1998
Label: Pavement
Genres: Hard Rock, Album Rock
Gilby Clarke's third solo outing since leaving uns N' Roses, Rubber, was packed with the bluesy, greasy hard rock of his other albums.
 8.3
 9.5
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Rubber Reviewed by: captain_crash, on february 02, 2007

Sound: This record really reminds me of good time rock and roll. It's not full of sing-along chorus' or 3 minutes solos, but what comes across instead is that Gilby Clarke is clearly a talented guitar player and he has a great ear for a good melody. The reason I bought this album was because it was by "the guy from GN'R" (it actually had a sticker saying that on the front), but after listening to track 1, "Kilroy Was Here" I realised he was more than that. // 8

Lyrics: None of the songs particuarly stick out lyrically. The songs aren't corny or poorly written so although they don't aid the album much, they do nothing to hinder it either. One good thing is that they are often simple which is means you pick them up pretty quickly, and that's no bad thing because you'll be singing along in no time, "The Haunting" is a great example of this. // 6

Overall Impression: One recommendation I would make is don't pick up this album expecting anything like Guns N' Roses, because it's really nothing like them at all. Gilby Clarke has a wealth of experience with other bands that and this shows in his live album "99 Live" which along with this CD are great assets to any collection. // 7

Comments