Feed The Animals review by Girl Talk

• Released: Jun 19, 2008
Girl Talk: Feed The Animals

Feed The Animals by Greg Gillis, A.K.A: Girl Talk is an album composed entirely of samples ranging from Yo La Tengo to Jay-Z. None of these samples are continued for an entire song with some even appearing for only a couple of seconds or being transformed into indistinguishable sounds. The multitude of samples leads to a complex ever changing sound with hardcore rap transitioning into Dexy's Midnight Runners and then a few second later transforming itself completely all over again. The album is separated into 14 songs but for the most part it really works as one continuous DJ set. It comes across a lot like "Paul's Boutique" by the Beastie Boys except with the added dimension of Vocal samples.

Obviously due to the nature of the album the lyrics are hard to rate but It is how Gillis uses and positions them that makes this album. There is an obvious joy to the juxtaposition of the combined samples at points; everyone I have played this album to has burst out laughing at the point where Lil' Mama's "Lip Gloss" plays over the riff heavy section from Metallica's "One". The vocal samples rely mostly on hip-hop and pop music but even if neither genre interests you I still recommend you give this album a chance.

This album is a must listen for any music nerd. If you can recognise every sample you need to start getting out more but listening to it and trying to piece it together is a fun sort of game (spoiler alert: the wiki page for this album has a breakdown of each song's components. Some may question the artistic value of sampling and adding nothing yourself but when the results are this good, and also available for free on the Illegal art website, it's hard to complain.

howamidriving?
    jmb7fy
    Girl Talk: Feed the Animals Overall Review (4.5 of 5 Stars) Assemblages are passional, they are compositions of desire. Desire has nothing to do with a natural and spontaneous determination; there is no desire but assembling, assembled, engineered desire. The rationality, the efficiency of an assemblage does not exist without the passions that the assemblage brings into play, without the desires that constitute it as much as it constitutes them. -Deleuze and Guattari, A Thousand Plateaus Music, like other aspects of our society, continuously evolves for better or for worse. As a listener, I have certainly evolved over the years, my tastes ever-changing and ever-expanding. Self-awareness and self-appreciation of the evolution of ones musical tastes is a perpetuating cycle at least it is for me. The more music Ive grown to love, appreciate, and respect, the more I have been propelled to search for new, different, and unique pieces of music. My love of music and desire to explore new genres and artists is what drew me towards Girl Talks Feed the Animals. I have long been indifferent towards mash-ups and ignorant of the reasons why Girl Talk is so widely followed and respected. Feed the Animals gave me a great appreciation for, and opened my eyes to, the art of mash-ups. The true genius of the album cannot be realized unless one fully exerts an effort into understanding the methods, reasoning, passion, and carefully crafted, intended outcomes of each and every track. The album begins with Play Your Part (Pt. 1) and draws the listener in with a very catchy mash-up, which includes a foot tapping bass line. From the onset of the album, one can come to appreciate the ability of Girl Talk to transition effortlessly into varying rhythms and time signatures, which I believe keeps the listener on-guard always looking forward to the next move Girl Talk is about to make. The transitions in Play Your Part (Pt. 1) I personally enjoyed involved Lil Wayne vocals into Sinead OConnor vocals. Girl Talk then utilizes Ms. OConnors vocals in another transition towards a quasi-call-and-response technique with sexual undertones. One hears OConnors infamous call of, Nothing Compares, answered by lyrics of a recent rap song entitled Getting Some Head. Better yet, the song then transitions into a background instrumental of Big Pimpin. Noticing subtleties and witty additions like this, in the very first song, instantly grabbed my attention and prompted me to pay great attention to particulars in the later tracks. Girl Talk continues to use fantastic transitions as the album progresses, as well as the use of layering and diverse song choice. Girl Talks ability to combine completely different songs and textures, fitting them together is, simply put, inspiring at times. One can hear the effort and passion poured into each track on the album, and I believe this passion is what epitomizes music at any level. For instance, who would think The Bands The Weight would complement the lyrics of Young Jocs Its Going Down? Yet, Girl Talk ties the two together perfectly, presenting to the listener lyrical relationships and concepts. Its Going Down chorus echoes nicely with a song entitled The Weight for, after all, we associate weight with downward force and movement. This relationship is further emphasized when the listener hears the repetitious Jump, Jump, Jump as the much softer vocals of The Bands front man urges one to ease up and Take a load off. Girl Talks use of repetition is an aspect found in minimalist music, which is clearly an influence on mash-ups and, specifically, Feed The Animals. This album strips down the very fabric of music, isolating vocals, instrumentals, etc. The use of the very basic, raw features of songs is a testament to minimalist works. Girl Talk then adds his interpretations, creativity, and artistry, essentially using the bits and pieces of various songs as an instrument itself. Just as a guitarist utilizes several otherwise basic and simplistic pitches to form and strike complex chord structures, Girl Talk uses basic aspects of individual songs in such a way that produces a layered, complex, and, most importantly, pleasing sound. Track 9, entitled Hands in the Air, included several highlights in my opinion. First and foremost Girl Talk incorporates artists who mash-up and mash-up artists of today owe a great deal of respect. For instance, Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Forces Planet Rock was a pivotal song of the early 1980s and was one of several artists/songs of the time to begin utilizing break beats, break dancing, scratching, cutting, and other techniques which have evolved over the course of time to inspire Girl Talk and the rappers that Girl Talk samples in his compositions. Another artist representative of this early influence in Hands in the Air is Sly and the Family Stone, who utilized drum machines and other techniques which would grow with hip-hop, popular music, and, likewise, mash-ups. Girl Talk certainly pays homage to his inspirations i
    Skuzzmo
    spidersquasher wrote: Skuzzmo wrote: Chrishernandez! wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Should not be on UG. I do not remember this being Ultimate-Rapper.com... Well hey I don't remember this being Ultimate-Shitty Metal.com, but that's what seems to dominate Don't remember this being ultimate-fouryear old.com where people wet themselves trying to get a point across.... Damn it someone on the internet disagrees with me. I must correct them!... hahahaha....ha....ha..hahahaha...ha funny cuz you just did EXACTLY what you're complaining about. Irony. Hahahaha. Also are all ya'll so bored you have to flame random reviews? Jeeezus. People are so narrowminded about stuff sometimes, it's kinda sad. Do we have to say "oh this sucksss booo" like four year olds? Can't we just say "I like this" and "this isn't quite my taste"? Or at least avoid it? I mean, unless it's Insane Clown Posse, that shit should be outlawed. EEEEKKKKK clownzzzz.
    Did I? Did I really? If that's what you think then you missed my point. Thanks for your contribution though.
    silversoulcage
    I'm a die hard metal head who enjoys a vast array of music and I have to say Girl Talk is sick, out of this entire "genre" this is probably the best.
    spidersquasher
    Nameless742
    EpiExplorer wrote: eza666 wrote: this is not even a rap album it uses rock samples as well as pop and rap samples. breakdown the musical barriers if you consider yourself a true musician you wouldnt confine your musical preference to a handful of bands but to a vast array of genres and appreciate music for what it is and what the message is. Oh I do that, but every other major genre is soulless and/or mind numbingly dull for me. There is no life to a monotonally voiced black guy TALKING about how life is oh so hard for him and todays popular rock is generic and mass produced with each band having an equally silly name (apart from Muse, who are the only band who invoke the spirit of the 70's). I can appreciate the finer points of any genre, some is good, but its mostly terrible. Besides, I dont find it very 'talented' if all the guy has done is MASH UP SAMPLES TOGETHER like a bored teenager. Yes, this is my 2 pence. I have nothing else to add, otherwise fanboys and/or defenders of the faith will start getting butthurt and hell knows I do not like people moaning at me.
    lol.
    Skuzzmo
    thewho65
    My first exposure to Girl Talk was the rotoscoped video of Bounce That on youtube. If his live shows are anything like that (even without the stylized outlines), they should be sufficiently insane. Also, how Gillis hasn't been skewered by every major label yet is beyond me. At least DJ Shadow used samples obscure enough to fly under the radar. This guy is so balls out about his sample usage/source.
    is by me
    krvolok
    TheReverend724 wrote: ^ shut the hell up. retarded rock/metal elitists are retarded yeah,people who actually learn to play real instruments and master them are retarded. I saw Girl Talk two days ago, it was ****ing sick!
    howamidriving? wrote: first off, people that are still stuck in the 70's (epiexplorer) make me laugh-if you cant find any good music being made today then youre not even trying to find it more importantly, this album is amazing. the skill, time, and effort to put an album like this together is amazing. just because he doesnt actually make any of the music used doesnt mean he's not talented. and the live show was far and away the most fun ive ever had at a concert
    Epic fail.Basically the author of post above is either abut 13 years old and as such is uninformed or...well the alternative is:scene follower.
    B3low3mpty
    If you've ever recorded or tried to engineer your own music then you'll appreciate the skill that went into making an album like this. If you like to hold a guitar to look cool then you probably shouldnt listen to this album at all.
    vans1170
    I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE LISTEN TO MY OPINION BECAUSE IT REALLY MATTERS A LOT BECAUSE THE OTHER PERSON PROBABLY DONT HAVE ONE OF THEIR OWN SO YOU GUYS SHOULD REALLY LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND I HATE RAP
    Caboose911
    krvolok wrote: J C wrote: there ARE guitar samples in here. ey And there ARE men dressed as women,doesn't make them women.
    this. RAP SUCKS.
    legato89
    u mad?
    kaptink
    Ooh Controversy also I see that I made a few grammar mistakes in the review. Sorry about that.
    J C wrote: there ARE guitar samples in here. ey
    And there ARE men dressed as women,doesn't make them women.
    J C
    +100 I'm personally not a huge fan of this album, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have a place to be reviewed here. I mean, if we take the website name as some kind of literal guidance, there ARE guitar samples in here. End discussion. Don't like it? Don't listen to it, ey
    Hellview
    Fuck girltalk i saw his ass in Boulder and puked all over this fat bitch. Shit sucks my balls.
    EpiExplorer
    I know what ya mean, Metalcore eeeeverywhere.. (Ha, you failed.)
    Chrishernandez!
    EpiExplorer
    TextOnTheScreen
    Yeah. Let's hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" together!
    eza666
    CapnKickass
    Shutup foo' or ima pop a cap in yo ass.
    legato89
    sorry for double posting, but there is no edit button and I want to make a meaningful post. This site is not for one particular genre, and has tabs for various genres of music, even drum and bass tabs.
    jmb7fy
    Track 9, entitled Hands in the Air, included several highlights in my opinion. First and foremost Girl Talk incorporates artists who mash-up and mash-up artists of today owe a great deal of respect. For instance, Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Forces Planet Rock was a pivotal song of the early 1980s and was one of several artists/songs of the time to begin utilizing break beats, break dancing, scratching, cutting, and other techniques which have evolved over the course of time to inspire Girl Talk and the rappers that Girl Talk samples in his compositions. Another artist representative of this early influence in Hands in the Air is Sly and the Family Stone, who utilized drum machines and other techniques which would grow with hip-hop, popular music, and, likewise, mash-ups. Girl Talk certainly pays homage to his inspirations in Feed the Animals. Overall, Girl Talks Feed the Animals is a superb album. This album can be loved simplistically, for its catchy hooks, dance-ability, and fun use of various genres, but it can also, and should be, appreciated on a much deeper level. Girl Talk utilizes hundreds of samples with eloquence and shows no bias towards any particular band, song, genre, or time period. Girl Talks tracks are often laced with relationships, wit, and a general knowledge and understanding of music. At the beginning of the review I stated that my desire to experience and appreciate a wide variety of music and technique is what drew me to give Girl Talk a chance. Strangely enough, I believe Girl Talk and his work symbolizes and furthers the feelings I, and many others have, with regard to music i.e. a passion to combine and appreciate music on multiple levels, with no barriers or walls in place. Feed the Animals is symbolic of our nature to enjoy and explore a variety of art forms in our own unique way. Lets just say, Girl Talk has made me, once again, realize there is much more I have yet to listen to, experience, and enjoy. Itll be awhile until Id be able to compare my music collection with Girl Talk, thats for sure.