The Summoning review by Glamour of the Kill

• Released: Jan 24, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Glamour of the Kill: The Summoning

I'll have to admit the vampire-esque cover and album notes scared me away a little bit, but I remembered the lame "never judge a book by it's cover" quote and gave the CD a spin. The opening track was "If Only She Knew" and began with a moderate guitar intro. I got even more scared of continuing to listen when the singing began. If there was ever a genre called "nasal metal" this band would be in it. Davey Richmond, the lead vocalist, has such a high and annoying voice, very similar to Kellin Quinn from Sleeping With Sirens. It only got worse when the "screaming" started. I don't know who told this guy he could sing metal. The gang vocals at various points in the album were enjoyable though. The music is what made me continue to listen. The actual instrumentals were great. Some songs even had me thinking about Def Leopard! When the CD was over, I put on the shelf, thinking I'd never listen to it, but I ended up playing it again and again. The music is what makes this band worth listening to.

I believe the lyrics are rather dull. They are nothing new and are nothing life changing. I became offended during the song "Feeling Alive" because of the careless lyrics concerning women. Something about that "if things go as planned, you'll be another one night stand." Not cool. "Malevolent Reign" is a repeating verse the entire song and gets rather annoying. Nevertheless, I find myself singing some of the songs during the day and scratching some lyrics on papers during the day. I guess some of the songs are pretty catchy.

This sure isn't one of my favorite cds or bands, but it's not rubbish worthy. The best song by far is the title and closing track, "The Summoning". It starts off somewhat slow, but picks up in the middle. The best lyric on the whole album is during this song, "I live my life for rock and roll." Something about that line is simple but deep; something we all can relate to. I love the guitar arrangements and the occasional group vocals. I hate the lyrics and main vocals. My advice to the band would be to ditch Richmond and find a new frontman. Sadly I wouldn't replace the album if it were lost, but I'd most likely download the final track.

YouTube preview picture