Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence review by Glassjaw

• Released: May 9, 2000
Glassjaw: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence

Glassjaw is unlike any band that you have ever heard before. The intensity of Glassjaw's debut full length "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence" will never be matched again. From each song to the next, you are on the edge of your seat begging for mercy as Daryl yells lyrics at you, you couldn't even think up, backed by pounding guitars led by Justin Beck, and drums to hold everything together. Daryl grew up in New York a flat out Hardcore kid and his past experience definitely came to light on this album, in a very positive way. One of the most interesting aspects of this album is how Glassjaw can take a song from complete chaos to melodic bridges and choruses that have you singing along.

Glassjaw's lyrics are some of the most eerie and mind captivating lyrics you will ever see any Hardcore band write. With lines like "Suck on the end of this dick that cums lead" and the repetition of "Who you f--king now? You f--king whore!?" shows the obvious frustration and raw emotion in Daryl's lyrics. What makes them great is how real Daryl's singing and screaming his. His screams are not forced, they aren't placed at certain spots, they just come to him becuase of the incredible amount of emotion. Daryl's voice is also one of the most recognizable voices in Hardcore/Pop (Head Automatica) today. You could pick his voice out of a crowd in a second, which is a good thing (although Simon Cowell might not like it? Oh well). The lyrics match the music almost too perfectly and hit you hard. I don't say this too often, but for this album I will, Daryl's singing and lyrics on this album are almost perfect and the raw emotion and frustration that flows on this album will never be recreated again.

Compared to "Worship And Tribute", their second full length release, "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence" easily takes the cake, although "Worship And Tribute" is very very good. As you can obviously tell from the previous sections, the emotion, frustration, lyrics, and pounding guitars really drive me to place this album as one of, if not my favorite album of all time. I can honestly say I hate absolutely nothing about this album, and feel that nothing more could've been done to make this a greater album. If this album was stolen or lost, I would definitely buy another copy, hell, I would buy 10 copies if I needed to.

gjaw006
    probably the greatest cd i have ever bought. this cd is amazing. i love it to death. they are my favorite band without a doubt..i think anyone should give this cd a chance...its seriously an amazing cd.thats all i can say.....
    MachineHeart
    to velorium camper or whatever. these guys arnet just hardcore. they have other styles too.
    VeloriumCamper
    Oh yeah I know, they incorporate all types of genres into their music, I was generalizing though, and speaking of the background of Daryl and the rest of the band.
    washburn085
    Lets see... 6 years after I first got this album and it still ranks #1 to me. Best album ever. This is what music is about.