Our Color Green (Singles) review by Glassjaw

• Released: Jan 1, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Glassjaw: Our Color Green (Singles)

The sound is like the bands previous material, vibrant and rough. One thing I notice is that there seems to be a little electronic sound through out which could be influenced by Daryl Palumbo's side project "Head Automatica". This isn't a bad thing it works with what GJ have done. Jesus Glue makes some use of dynamics, but out of the 5 songs I think "All Good Junkies Go To Heaven" is the strongest song. Has it been worth the 8 year wait? In my opinion it has.

The lyrics in verses are nothing special but like most Glassjaw songs they have good hooks in the chorus, "All Good Junkies" for example, "When the medicine you fancy, has all run out. All good junkies go to heaven". They aren't that impressive but they're really catchy and compliment the other instruments. Daryl Palumbo is definitely a talented front man and song writer. Blending his high singing/talking with the screams works very well for him.

In places I think of Rage Against The Machine, but as I said, only in places. Besides that I think the only thing I can compare it too is the band's previous work. The most impressive songs on this E.P I feel are All Good Junkies, You Think You're John F***ing Lennon & Natural Born Farmer. As most fans of the band may know, this is the first studio release since 2002 album Worship & Tribute, but has the 8 year wait been worth it? Probably not seeing as it's been such a small release, but it's always good to hear new material and with promise of a full length album soon then the E.P is just what we need to get us going. I would recommend this to fans old & new.

ponnightingale
    The reviewer seems quite pleased with the record, yet at the same time rates it poorly. I'm rating it with a 10 because it's an amazing EP, as is Coloring Book!
    robbie-rocks
    I try not to give things a rating of 10, cause nothing is perfect. But it is a good, solid EP. Prefer Coloring Book though.