Glasvegas review by Glasvegas

• Released: Sep 8, 2008
Glasvegas: Glasvegas

'Glasvegas' is the eponymous debut album from Glasweigan doom-rockers Glasvegas. Glasvegas have recieved a lot of praise and hype from the media in recent times and this stunning album shows that the hype is more than deserved. Singer James Allan's mournful vocals provide a haunting yet beautiful rendition of hard times in Glasgow. Combined with editors-esque wailing guitars and stomping drums, the textures in the songs create a wall of sound which is truly magnificent. The songs do have a certain haunting effect about them, with Allan's echoing vocals serenading you with many diverse tales, such as the tale of a local woman named Geraldine who gave up her job as a social worker to sell merchandise at Glasvegas gigs. This also goes to show the level of support that this band has from their truly amazing fans. Having seen Glasvegas at Glastonbury this year and heard the tent being filled completely with their ever loyal fans chanting back the words at the band was a truly awe-inspiring moment.

Another brilliant song from the album is 'Daddy's Gone', which James Allan wrote prior to recording another of the band's singles, 'Go Square Go! '. The song recieved praise from all angles, and this is the song which has really helped Glasvegas break through into the public eye. In 2007 Dirty Pretty Things guitarist and frontman Carl Barat described the song as "the best song of this year so far".

But however much I would love to give this album a 10/10 review and leave it at that, I do have a few reservations. First of all is that however hard I try, to me most of the songs on this album sound virtually the same. This isn't necessarily a disastrous thing, as the formula for these songs is perfect, but I would've liked to have seen a more varied selection of songs from them. With Allan as their creative force it surely cannot be hard to have a different riff in each song compared to virtually the same one throughout the whole album? It would be nasty to leave the review on a sour note however, so I will say that it is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the year and that you should definately buy, steal or borrow this album.