Glasvegas review by Glasvegas

• Released: Sep 8, 2008
Glasvegas: Glasvegas

Glasvegas brings a classic doo-wop style of playing to their music, as well as heavy punching guitar sounds and marching drum beats. This blends together very well to create something completely unique, and compliments the very strong scottish accent of the vocals. Described as one of the years greatest triumphs this debut, and it's powerful sound, makes it clear to see why.

The lyrics are very socially conscious, and reflect modern life in a way that hasn't been done this successfully since The Clash or The Specials. Though the energy and the sound of Glasvegas is the most impressive features of this album songs like "Flowers and Football Tops" and "Daddy's Gone" do show the skill that James Allan (lyricist and vocalist)has for words, comparisions with Joe Strummer come to mind...

Despite comparisons with other bands, Glasvegas does remain unique and there sound is like nothing else you'll ever here. don't let the strong accent throw you off, after a couple of listens you will learn to love it, and would find the songs empty without it. The bands singles "Geraldine" and "Daddy's Gone" are both very impressive, as well as addictively catchy, but all songs on this debut are worthy of many listens as they are all perfect in there own imperfect ways... P.S. If it were stolen I would definately buy it again!

TJ1991
    Good album, the only criticism I have is that it's a bit samey. Lyrically they're good, Flowers and Football Tops gets to me every time. But Stabbed - haha! Absolutely dire.
    micro_erased
    I love this album i think its brilliant i do agree it is a bit samey but its still a very good album
    Hammy_991
    I'm Gonna Get Stabbed is much better than Stabbed, basically the same song. IGGS is the original version of the song before they were signed to Columbia.
    IndieLegend25
    this is a great album, and ive been waiting a long time to say it! March 2006 saw them support DPT @ the ABC, and loved every minute since - what an ending to the album aswell with Ice Cream Van. Stabbed's ehhh how can i put it - weird? :p but the albums greatt. Mon the Glasvegas
    AngryGoldfish
    Goodness sake, the lyrics aren't supposed to be taken literally. He's either trying to be so blunt that it becomes ridiculous, which reinforces the ridiculousness of getting stabbed. Or he's simply trying to tell people how common it is. I don't normally like British indie, either, but they're Scottish.
    mattiwillohouse
    AngryGoldfish wrote: I don't normally like British indie, either, but they're Scottish.
    Scottish IS British you tool. Glasvegas rock btw