Metalusion review by Glen Drover

• Released: Apr 5, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Glen Drover: Metalusion

My impression of the sound on the album is okay. The sound here is pretty standard. The production is professional and the instruments come through well. The EQ is little high on the treble as far as I am concerned. I would expect more of a heavy metal tone based on the name of the album... But it's an illusion right. This is definitely not what I would expect from a guy who was formerly in Megadeth. It has a real Malmsteen feel to it. Five of the songs are originals and five are covers. It's all fantasy-esque progressive metal with a jazz feel to it. This is definitely not a thrash metal offering. Glen Drover said in an interview that he did all these songs "off the cuff" meaning he didn't plan them ahead of time. It really shows in most parts. 01. "Ground Zero": I agree with the other review, the intro is very catchy. The rest of the song is up-beat fast solos but the cohesiveness is missing. They seem like random guitar licks coming out of nowhere. 02. "Frozen Dream": Keyboard play a huge part of this song. They always seem to effeminate for metal. 03. "Egpytian Danza": Pretty good take on a classic song with a metal tone. 04. "Colors Of Infinity": Wanted to give this a higher rating but the song loses it after the intro, which is quite good. 05. "Illusions Of Starlight": Not feeling this one at all as it starts off slow and keeps going slow. 06. "Don't Let The World": Similar to No. 5. 07. "Mirage": More of the same. 08. "Ascension": More of the same. 09. "The Purple Lagoon": This is a Zappa cover. Where's the song? It's so short! 10. "Filthy Habits": Another Zappa cover. I've never heard Zappa so I cannot say whether it's better or worse. Overall, I'm not nuts about this track. This category is getting a four because although the production is good, the songs do not appeal to my personal tastes. These guys suffer from total Mozart syndrome! What is this? Metal or neo-classical with distortion.

This is an instrumental album entirely and singing wouldn't really fit this hodge podge of songs as they are really just extended guitar solos that go on for multi-minutes at a time. If you like random solos and skeletal backing tracks then you wouldn't need singing at all.

First of all, I'm not a progressive metal fan but I was a fan of Megadeth so I picked this up. Nearly twenty dollars is my tuition fee and lessons learned for buying a prog metal album. I bought this thinking it would be good based on the samples on this website, and I was under the impression it would be like Metallica's "Orion" or something along those lines. Nontheless, if you give it a thorough listen you can catch a few catchy jingles and slamming grooves admist the boring parts. I usually listen all my music in my laboratory at work where I do my scientific testing. Good music really makes the work day fly by quick. This CD really put me on edge and I blundered a few experiments when it was playing. I had this CD in my car another day and my girlfriend told me explicitly to turn it off. I got a cold shoulder from her the rest of the evening despite changing the music. It's a real mood killer for women. I honeslty tried to like this CD entirely, but to the contrary this CD as a whole is an excremental masterpiece only worthy of the deepest fathoms of an incredible toilet. I just hate it so bad but I'm trying to like it. It feels unnatural. The ninth song is non-existant, it is a bunch of high-pitched wailing. The rest of the songs it seems like the band needs a minimum of 2 minutes to get a groove going. How can a professional band take that long? Couldn't they have edited out the warm-up jams out of the actualy songs? Oh let me guess, I'm wrong, boring music is just "experimental art". If you buy that line of artistic progressiveness jive then you'd love to pretend loving this CD, if not, steer clear and go grab some real metal. You would be much more happier. I know some dudes who took lessons with this guy and they said he cancelled a lot and would talk about himself most of the time. I hope it's not true as he seems like a nice guy on the videos. Glen, please do thrash metal with singing again, we will like it more!