Close The Distance review by Go Radio

• Released: Sep 18, 2012
Go Radio: Close The Distance

Close the distance is filled with what can best be described as grooving, melodic hooks. It seems that every song, from the stripped-down, piano-based "What If You Don't" to the full band anthem "Close the Distance," is carefully crafted to build from either a two part verse or a verse/prechorus combo into a huge melodic chorus. Jason Lancaster's voice has a raw aggressiveness to it, which complements the pop-punk/pop-rock style quite well. His ability to slide up and down between some of the higher notes in his melodies is impressive and very unique-sounding. The album is mainly piano and guitar driven, but strings and synth tracks can also be heard throughout. The entire album is professionally produced, and no single instrument is ever lost in the mix.

After Lancaster decided to leave Mayday Parade and form Go Radio, it became evident that he was the genius behind much of the songwriting in his former band. Close the Distance is filled with music metaphors like "Did I lose my rhythm now?" and "There was a time I had a symphony and it played love to me for days," while there are also many witty artistic phrases such as "you be the reason, I'll be the rhyme" and "tomorrow don't mean anything tonight." Small touches like using a thumping kick pattern and changing the lyrical rhythm for a line that says, "I swear I can hear every heartbeat in this place" shows a thoughtfulness and awareness not often seen in the music of similar artists.

I was saddened to hear that Go Radio called it quits a couple weeks ago, because they truly are a talented band. "Close the Distance" is a great example of melodic and lyrically-thoughtful songwriting. If you are a fan of Mayday Parade's "A Lesson in Romantics" and you think that they just haven't been the same since, check out "Close the Distance," you will not be disappointed. As far as my opinion is concerned, "Collide" and "Over Me" are two of the best songs in pop-rock, let alone in the album. Of all the pop-punk and pop-rock I've listened to, this is honestly the only album of which I can say that I genuinely like every single song. It is a shame that a band would break up after releasing what could be considered one of the most impressive albums in its genre. I have a hunch that Lancaster will not stop making music, and I will eagerly await his next production, even if it is not with Go Radio.