Age of the Fifth Sun review by God Is an Astronaut

• Released: May 17, 2010
God Is an Astronaut: Age of the Fifth Sun

Not many bands have a back catalogue quite as extensive as God is an Astronaut and not have the fame to go with it. I was still a little surprised to find nobody had yet reviewed the newest album, which was out on 17th May. For those that know God is an Astronaut, Age of the Fifth Sun is yet another solid record, that simply adds more pleasureable listening to your post-rock collection. As far as post-rock goes, this band do stand alone very well, and you don't have to be a genre buff to get into them, making them accessible to everyone, and the new album shows this. It creates amazing soundscapes worthy of the most epic of situations, with a little less energy than their previous album.

Instrumental band. The music is textured, layered, full of emotion, and is easy to listen to. The guitars still create those amazing melodies that were there on the previous albums, played brilliantly by Niels and Torsten. As two of the three members, these guys also play keys, and bass, and do a very good job. The drumming on this album is a little less ambitious than on their self titled record, but nevertheless it fits the music well and is always entertaining listening.

Comparing to their last album, Self titled, this album lacks some of the energy, especially in the percussion section, and some of the songs are quite slow, but as a stand alone album it is still a very good album, and stands out amongst other post rock bands (something that can be hard to do in this genre). Impressive songs are the first three of the album in particular, Worlds in collision, In The Distance Fading and Lost Kingdom. It is a solid addition to their catalogue of albums, I would reccomend to anyone who is a fan of post-rock, or otherwise, worth a listen.

Vinushka
    I did not know there was a new GIAA album. They're undoubtedly my favourite post rock band so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.