God Is An Astronaut review by God Is an Astronaut

• Released: Nov 7, 2008
God Is an Astronaut: God Is An Astronaut

Irish three-piece God Is An Astronaut are perhaps most well known for the synth-drenched euphoria of their 2005 opus 'All Is Violent, All Is Bright', an absolute masterpiece in the eyes of many, including yours truly. Even with last year's more stripped-down 'Far From Refuge', the otherworldly atmosphere of their music is matched by none. The hands-in-the-air, jaw-on-the-floor tradition that has been upheld for their first three albums doesn't seem to kick into gear one your first few times through this one. You can listen and know that the music is good, but something doesn't quite click. Not yet. Then, like a clich post-rock crescendo, everything falls into place and, excusing my vulgarity, the album ejaculates all over your face. Even though the band released it as a single a long time ago, even centrepiece 'No Return' manages to sound even more majestic. It is absolutely bizarre how this album suddenly comes to life, how what at first sounds bland and uninspired can suddenly become so rich and expressive. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Ultimately though, their instrumental palette is once again churning out great tunes. The chemistry God Is An Astronaut's three members have with each other is phenomenal; inventive rhythms, ethereal soundscapes and even more infectious guitar melodies are abundant. The way that the album is laid out is also worth noting, starting off well, but the sense of grandeur is built slowly as each song unfolds, until the explosive finale of 'Loss', which is so emotive that a few minutes in pretentious silence is required.

One great thing about reviewing instrumental albums is that not all that much effort is required to fill this little box. However, I would like to congratulate God Is An Astronaut on the fact that they brought back the subtle 'oohs' and 'aahs' that lie so naturally over the top of their music. I missed them.

If you like God Is An Astronaut, you will like this album. It is, in many ways, a halfway meeting point between the saturated electronic tone of 'All Is Violent... ' and 'Far From Refuge's more mature and reserved sound. It is more than just a mash-up of past glories though, as the energy and heaviness behind songs like 'Zodiac' and 'Shores Of Orion' are definitely something new and interesting. 'God Is An Astronaut' isn't a perfect album, it does have a few unfortunately pedestrian songs, but considering how the whole sound of the album morphed so suddenly for me, what do I know?

sigur_ros6
    grunger
    i personally dislike post-rock, i.e explosions, but GIAA are pretty interesting
    DrOcan
    Paddles wrote: AlabamaMoon wrote: great stuff, people on UG know nothing about post-rock though go to img.4chan.org/mu they actually know something about music Rules 1 and 2, *****.
    it applies only to raids and it's not about /mu/ at all. maybe you should read the rules before you try to look badass. incredible band. they are brilliant, and this album is no exception.
    Chatboy 91
    When I heard about this, and I saw the name of the band, I had to get this album. God is An Astronaut, pure genius. No idea what it was going to sound like but, I'm plesently surprised. I love instrumental stuff like this. Thanks UG for letting me know about this awesome band. PS The slbum art makes a great wallpaper.
    huevos
    Explosions are overrated. GIAA are badass. I don't think their coming with The 12 and The Fall of Troy. So sad. What other albums do these guys have? And what would you recommend? You know what? I'll probably get their whole catalog regardless.
    madman885
    haha no they don't. /mu/ has more trolls than /b/ and it's elitist attitude is sometimes unbearable. that said, they know good post-rock.
    The_Paranoia
    Listening to them on their Myspace right now. All instrumental band right? Pretty cool stuff.
    hotdog_warmcat
    grunger wrote: i personally dislike post-rock, i.e explosions, but GIAA are pretty interesting
    Explosions are by far the most overrated, mediocre post-rock out there imo. But I guess everyone has to find a way in. Definitely looking forward the album's "ejaculation" haha... I've only listened to it in passing, and it definitely doesn't seem like an album to be listened to lightly. Of course, none of them really were.
    huevos
    eltravo wrote: sigur_ros6 wrote: incredible album, good review I am seeing them in a couple of weeks with the Fall of Troy and the Number 12, which is a weird combination, but I can't wait Oh shit, I'm going to see that same line up in San Francisco in December, I didn't know God Is An Astronaut was on the bill! This is gonna be awesome!!!
    Oh really? Sounds interesting. I gotta see if this is true.
    sigur_ros6
    I'm not sure if they are on the bill for the San Francisco date I know for sure that they are meeting up with the fall of troy and the number 12 for the san louis obispo show though. They are playing in SF Dec 6, so if that is when you are seeing the Fall of Troy, they will be there.
    Toms' anominous
    They are a ****ing epic band and are in my top 5! I cant wait to hear this album and see them at some point!
    PastaOfMuppets
    cool story bro
    Paddles
    Rules 1 and 2, *****.
    satyphan
    Misfit-FTB wrote: I just got this album today, and it's amazing. Good stuff. GIAA is awesome and I recommend it to anyone into intrumental stuff.
    QFT... I'd say it's their best album so far!
    Misfit-FTB
    satyphan
    Pretty awesome stuff from GIAA... Have yet to put my hands on the new album though!
    AlabamaMoon