Awake Review

9.6
 8.4
 1,053
Awake Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2003

Sound: Godsmack's songwriting team consists of singer Sully Erna and axeman Tony Rombola. I love what these two guys have done with their music, providing us with catchy guitar riffs and incredible guitar solos. This album clearly demonstrates their excellent talent as musicians. // 10

Lyrics: Sully also demonstrates remarkable talent as the band's lyricist. He shows us that anger can be a key ingridient to writing great songs that radio stations will play for years and decades to come. The lyrics fit incredibly with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: If a band's first album does really well, fans expect the second album to at least match up. Godsmack goes far beyond just "matching up". I have all three Godsmack records, and this one is, by far, my favorite. I could listen to it all the way through over and over again and not get tired of it at all. All the songs on this album are pretty cool, but my favorites are Sick of Life, Awake, Greed, Mistakes, and Trippin'. I love the catchy music and lyrics. If someone stole this album from me, I wouldn't blame them because they would hear one of the coolest rock albums ever. So, yeah, that pretty much means if it got lost or stolen, I would go out and buy another copy, or steal someone else's. Haha. // 10

Awake Reviewed by: Gdstrbd, on june 03, 2004

Sound: I have all of the Godsmack albums and I love them all. This album has a different sound than all the other ones though. This sound is darker and heavier. I enjoy the sound of this album very much! Tony Rombola has make some awesome guitar riffs for this album and Robbie with some awesome bass riffs as well. Of course with Sully's roaring voice, it's a very dstinct and awesome sounding sound. // 10

Lyrics: Sully Erna has a lot of skill when writing lyrics. His lyrics make you feel what he feels and also in the way he sings it. My favorite lyrics from this album are probably the ones from the songs "Sick Of Life", "Forgive Me", and "Spiral." The lyrics to this album are just soo awesome and make you feel much better if you sing along with them. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favorite albums of all time. My favorite one is Godsmack's Faceless album. The song that I like the most off of this album is probably "Forgive Me." It's fun to sing along with, it's catchy, the sound is awesome, and the lyrics are as well. There is nothing at all wrong with this album. If I lost this album, I'd mess my whole house up looking for it. Also, if it was stolen, I'd definately go buy another one. I highly highly highly recommend this album. You will love this album. // 10

Awake Reviewed by: Ceresz, on may 22, 2006

Sound: This is the heviest Godsmack album, in my opinion, and I like it. A lot of these songs were written on road, and a couple are re-used old song, so to speak. For their second album, the boys delievered once again. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really dark, and hevy. I think a lot of people can relate to the stories Sully are telling, and that's what he does best. A couple of these lyrics are great, some are not, but you will have to judge for yourself. The music fit the lyrics a lot, and I really mean a lot. Sully's skills as a singer, well, he has a great voice I can't deny that, but since there isn't much singing in this record, there isn't much to say, however he IS actually a great singer, in my opinion, if you listen to "The Other Side" you can hear that clearly. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs on this album, in my opinion, are SIck of my life, Awake, Greed, Bad MAgick, Spiral, and more. I loved Sully's deep and growling vocals, there wasn't really anything I hated maybe a couple of things I didn't really like. If it got lost, I may buy it again. A good album, but not the best, Godsmack can do better. // 10

Awake Reviewed by: sabata777, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Godsmack is a hard rock band, and I fear to say that they are metal because of all of the softer more deep songs they have. Godsmack has a great sound, and a talented front man, who can sing, play the harmonica, the guitar, and the drums, and their lead guitarist has some amazing riffs, as well as the bassist, not to forget the fast drummer. // 10

Lyrics: In the lyrics of this CD I found personally, besides the in your face lyrics, some intese light-hearted meaning in it. Plus Sully saying "God help me" several times in a row beforee the interlude of Mistakes kind of hints that other that the name GODsmack, there may be some religious connection. But the lyrics and the music allways go greatly together with Godsmack, no different here. // 9

Overall Impression: Just as all the other Godsmack albums, excluding the original self titled albulm which sounded a little moree thrash, and garage metal, this albulm is top notch awesome. I think Sick of Life was really intense, and BA, I think Awake was of course hardcore, and the other song I like most was Mistakes, and Spiral was really good too. The thing I like about the CD is how the songs flow into eachother, and also how they don't sound the same, like the songs in some band's CDs do. The only thing I didn't like was that it was a short CD! Sure the CD don't belong to me, but if I lost it (of course after giving my friend the money for it) I'd go pick myself up another copy for sure. // 10

Awake Reviewed by: jason75, on april 30, 2007

Sound: Godsmack has changed since releasing the self titled CD and now most of the songs are drop C tuning for guitar which makes the CD and the music sound depper. I loved the fact they had another instrumental song. The sound overall was good and the mixing done was great. The bass or guiatr wasn't overpowering nor were the drums. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were very good and most of their songs again were two or three word songs but the lyrics were. Only a few songs had in it but it wasn't screamed out and it was only once in the song. The lyrics matched the song title which helpful. The lead singer has a great hard rock voice so I think that makes the CD. // 9

Overall Impression: I do like it mroe than the self titled CD and more than Faceless. I am impressed the amount of guitar solos. I think they have one in almost every song which is a good thing to learn. I loved the instrumental but I didn't like the song after it which was a 49 second song leading up to the song after. I think they could have put that song in the beginning of Spiral. I would buy it again of I lost it. // 9

Comments