IV review by Godsmack

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Apr 25, 2006
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 8.7 (129 votes)
Godsmack: IV
3

Sound — 10
This albums sound differs from the other records. The guitars are more along the heavy line. The drums are kicked into high gear and Sully brings out more of a range in his voice. Not to mention the harmonica opening and solo on the song "Shine Down."

Lyrics — 10
The Lyrics on this record are beyond typical Godsmack. The record was writen by the whole band this time, not just Sully. So you see more of a musical apperance and less metal more music. As well as the continuation of "Voodoo" called "Voodoo Too" is very tribal and original in its own right. Some of the lyrics are very dark, as in songs like "Livin' In Sin," "The Enemy," "Teptation" and "No Rest For The Wicked." Yet its feels new in its own right, it's awsome to say the least.

Overall Impression — 10
This album has every comparison to the other albums yet is totally different at the same time. My personal favorite songs on the record are "Livin' In Sin," "The Enemy," "Voodoo Too," "Shine Down" (with its awesome harmonica play) and "No Rest For The Wicked." There's nothing to hate about this record, it's as close to perfect as a record can come! It's on par with Metallica's "Black Album" and "ZOSO"! If it were lost or stolen the world would end as I would end it! Then get me another copy or two!

36 comments sorted by best / new / date

    L3X18999
    DareBear02 wrote: Goddamnit! I can't believe people still listen to these baffoons! Godsmack has been sucking for years now and the fact that they are still around is a f*cking miricle in it self. They aren't singing about anything that's important or personal for that matter, no offense to any one who buys this record but you guys are probably still wondering when the next POD or Korn album comes out. Grow Up! There are Nu-Metal bands that sound better and have a little more respectability. Like Chevelle or Deftones, I dunno, it just frustrates me to see that a band like this would still be around and people would actually like them. They really aren't that aggressive in terms of hard rock, sure the guitarist uses a mesa boogie, and plays the same f*cking penatonic blues scale with some sh*t effects and have some guy who smoked too many cigaretts attempt to yelp angrily into a mike. I saw them perform a few years back (2003) in Germany, The Used opened for them (and I honestly hate that band) but they put on one hell of a performance, Godsmack looked and sounded like they were trying to be a older (like in their 40's) crappier version of a Godsmack Tribute group who were trying to reclaim their "youth" and failing miserably. I felt embarrassed for them as I watched the crown start to leave, and most of the people there came to see the godsmack! I dunno, they need to quit, I have a headache, and the fact people are ranting and raving about a sh*t-ass band only proves Billy Joe from greenday was right. You all are American Idiots, who would probably do anything to go into a gay bar and stomp on some "Fags" because it's the cool and masculine way to prove yourself. If Greenday couldn't save rock with "American Idiot" godsmack is the reason why, they give Hard Rock a bad f*cking name.
    do us all a friggin favor go tell someone who freakin cares then u can shove your head up ur ass
    erotic sweaters
    ok, I dig Godsmack and all, but saying it's as good as Led Zeppelin IV is blasphemy. Led Zep IV is on a whole different level than anything Godsmack has done, and also kicks the shit out of the black album.
    Mik3_D
    DareBear02 wrote: Billy Joe from greenday was right. You all are American Idiots, who would probably do anything to go into a gay bar and stomp on some "Fags" because it's the cool and masculine way to prove yourself. If Greenday couldn't save rock with "American Idiot" godsmack is the reason why, they give Hard Rock a bad f*cking name.
    Greenday couldn't save rock because they're a shitty wannabe emo punk band. Even though you might be right about Godsmack being kinda lame, they arent the reason why Greenday couldnt save rock (LMMFAO). You cant even call what they do "rock." Now go cry somewhere else about it. We dont wanna hear it.
    stanger5154
    Since when was Disturbed considered lagit metal... they're music for junior high kids that think they're bad asses.... Godsmack really grew up and came into their own on this record.. if you don't believe me go listen to it... all of it, not just "Speak" (even though it's a great song). And VooDoo Two sounds almost nothing like the original VooDoo, so don't talk about what you don't know.
    f8ta1ity54
    you all need to get listen to a real metal band...as i lay dying,killswitchengage, acacia strain, a life once lost...some old sevendust lol
    JRowe3388
    Just because you all listen to music does not make you a freaking expert. Noone can say a certain band sucks if that band has fans. If they have a strong fanbase, then that band must be doing something right. And all you asses calling people who listen to different music than you "Fags", "Bitches", and "Pussies", than you are a coward. Cursing on a forum at someone you dont know is ****ing pointless. And on another note, going to a band's page and saying they suck is pointless. Mostly fans of that band will be reading, and bitching about that band is not going to make people stop liking them. Get over it. *sigh* Yeah... sorry about that. >_>
    Born 2 Slash
    I love this new album by Godsmack. Speak is a very good song. I also love Shine Down. Overall the album rocks. Rock On!!!!!
    xSacrilegex
    When Sully said "And I know there's someone above" in Shine Down, I quit listening.
    Vos
    Saw them on some show last night...Don't know what song they were playing, only caugth the last minute of the song. Godsmack is pretty damn sweet tho.
    jimiismydaddy
    12 notes in music = A limited amount of music and sound. So their not innovators. Every band you listen too cant be an innovator. Their making their name big and their doing a hell of a lot better than any of you who sit on your computers and take time to write out essay length whine fests. Stop wasting time here and go practice.
    BrokenWingman
    Too many comments to read them all, however. Someone said "Faceless" was their best. Yes, it is....if you like to hear the same song over and over and over with a different solo in it. The best song on their is Straight Out Of Line. The songs are good, but dear god, can the guitarist just maybe, diverge from using the same, Ryhthm, Key, and Chords for every song?
    Doomsayer16
    are the majority of people on here like 12 years old? One, greenday is crap unless you like sissy emo punk shit. Two, godsmack sure as hell didn't invent "rock" so Metallideth you must be 9 years old. And Darebear02... wtf? Go put on your eye liner and masterbate to Biily Joe playing his 3 chords. If greenday couldn't save rock... are you on crack?
    The_Ibanezer
    xSacrilegex wrote: When Sully said "And I know there's someone above" in Shine Down, I quit listening.
    You can't actually be suggesting that you gave up on godsmack because he made a reference to "god". Sully is a practicing wiccan. And while I don't know a tonne about the religion, I know he's not going to be trying to get you "born again" or anything like that. And who gives a **** anyway what he believes. With a name like Sacrilege, you're probably just some sad little ****ed up satan-loving death metal bitch, who won't accept music unless it involves "killing jesus". Now retire to you bedroom in your parents house to re-apply your eyeliner, lipstick and draw pentagram on your forehead. PS. Go **** yourself
    x_themetalfan_x
    Doomsayer16 wrote: are the majority of people on here like 12 years old? One, greenday is crap unless you like sissy emo punk shit. Two, godsmack sure as hell didn't invent "rock" so Metallideth you must be 9 years old. And Darebear02... wtf? Go put on your eye liner and masterbate to Biily Joe playing his 3 chords. If greenday couldn't save rock... are you on crack?
    Couldn't have said it better. This is a damn solid album (but it's no "In the Arms of Devastation"). I'm normally indifferent towards most nu-metal, but this one is pretty good, all in all. But yeah Darebear, you really need to put down the crackpipe. It has such negative effects as giving you the impression that Green Day has any sort of discernable talent.
    BloodCellZ
    Darebear, you have to be kidding me! Now i don't think this record is all that great, i think it get's a little boring. But don't diss them! U think Chevelle has more respectability than Godsmack? HAHAHAHA they suck ass!!! All they do is bitch and whine about how bad their life is. And Green Day? You have to be kidding me. They're that punk band turned pop by "the Man"!! Go rant somewhere else. And for god sakes listen to some better music! I love korn and limp bizkit, and linkin park, but you can't spend your whole life listening to just that! Go out and learn how to play some Lamb of God, or Cky, or Foreign Objects, and learn some jazz and classical pieces. It'll change your whole perspective on music!
    †TheKnight†
    Godsmack are sick, all of their songs are sick, theres lush metal, and some sic rock tracks on every one of their albums, I accept that they are not everyones cup of tea, but the hell are they on the same wavelength as Green Day, and i tell you that the idiot that said that comes from def people island, lol. And the bolox is metalica getting any better and is their album going to be better than godsmacks. They were good, Back in the day when basic rock was basic, but now the industry is getting more complex (but alot worse) Metalica need to either give up the flag, or get a makeover...I mean if you say godsmacks songs sound alike, Every metalica song sounds the bloody same...lol!
    BLAKK:JAKK
    I love godsmack since their first album (which is the best so far)...but I think that this album his the worse they've ever done....
    philman42487
    godsmack is a wanna be alice in chains so you can't say they invented hard rock, i like both bands but still be realalistic
    Agemoi
    i thought this was a damn good album. ONLY complaint is that the guitar kind of, sort of, lost its low end that godsmack became known for to aspiring musicians like myself. When i read they switched from mesa to marshall i actually got a little fearful just because the marshall sound is so tipical and over used that thats why alot of the music today sounds the same. But i have to say i was pleasantly suprised to hear that they managed to get a setting that was still godsmack but new and fresh, and it sounds like they used the Mode 4, so its all good, only marshalls i would trust are a 2203 jcm800 and the mode 4, but anyway kick ass album, i think it is probably their best becuase its more musical than the past but still ****in rocking, anyway, BUY IT!
    chairo
    This is by far the best sounding of all of godsmack's albums, the production values are just excellent. The bass drum hits harder, the guitars sound tighter, and the bass just rumbles. This is also their best album musically. There is a much better range of music on this album then on faceless and awake, especially with the harmonica and the slide playing. This album is just simply much more enjoyable than some of their previous, and hopefully they will stay on this track in future releases.
    METALLIDETH90
    Speak is a great single, and i definitely can hear how well the guitars sound now i can't wait to buy this one
    nineinch9
    I gotta agree with DareBear. The fact alone they wrote a song called "Voodoo Too". Sheer Fucking Laziness
    sassamafras
    DareBear02 wrote: Goddamnit! I can't believe people still listen to these baffoons! Godsmack has been sucking for years now and the fact that they are still around is a f*cking miricle in it self. They aren't singing about anything that's important or personal for that matter, no offense to any one who buys this record but you guys are probably still wondering when the next POD or Korn album comes out. Grow Up! There are Nu-Metal bands that sound better and have a little more respectability. Like Chevelle or Deftones, I dunno, it just frustrates me to see that a band like this would still be around and people would actually like them. They really aren't that aggressive in terms of hard rock, sure the guitarist uses a mesa boogie, and plays the same f*cking penatonic blues scale with some sh*t effects and have some guy who smoked too many cigaretts attempt to yelp angrily into a mike. I saw them perform a few years back (2003) in Germany, The Used opened for them (and I honestly hate that band) but they put on one hell of a performance, Godsmack looked and sounded like they were trying to be a older (like in their 40's) crappier version of a Godsmack Tribute group who were trying to reclaim their "youth" and failing miserably. I felt embarrassed for them as I watched the crown start to leave, and most of the people there came to see the godsmack! I dunno, they need to quit, I have a headache, and the fact people are ranting and raving about a sh*t-ass band only proves Billy Joe from greenday was right. You all are American Idiots, who would probably do anything to go into a gay bar and stomp on some "Fags" because it's the cool and masculine way to prove yourself. If Greenday couldn't save rock with "American Idiot" godsmack is the reason why, they give Hard Rock a bad f*cking name.
    hey go somewhere else and bitch
    silent caution
    6al9oy wrote: Fuck all you gay Godsmack and Greenday fans. You should all just save your money for the upcoming metallica album. Godsmack is nothing more but a footnote in hard rock history man.
    what about we godsmack fans that arent gay? you talking to us too?
    Dexterity
    Wow...just wow. I usually don't comment on these things but....Wow. Green Day Couldn't save rock cause 1.) It doesn't need saving 2.) Green Day would doesn't have enough gusto to save rock. They put on an awesome show and play well but cmon man. Metallideth...Godsmack did not invent hard rock..wow..kids your agnst...wow...Real metalheads would probably laugh at you if you said this. Lol save up for metallica album ahahaha. The only true comment here is Godsmack being an Alice in Chains wannabe. Only Alice in Chains coudl rock it so much more than Godsmack will ever be able to.
    otherkid
    I havent got this album yet but im planning on it but i hate green day i think they should just stop playin cause theyre not metal theyre a bad excuse for a punk and that DareBear person just should shut up cause godsmack rocks and so does POD and Korn and by the way has everybody forgot that Black Sabbath invented metal and brought it to the USA
    Noremorse96
    I like godsmack one of my fave bands. They r no inovators by ne means nor are they rip offs. They don't sound like alica and chains for one thing. They r a good hard rock band (far from the creators of it tho).
    6al9oy wrote: not to mention chevelle, pod, the used and deftones. All emo's suck dick and punk rock sounds more poppish recently. And most importantly Billy Joe is a fag. Bands you should listen to: Slayer(except Daibolus in Musica and their new album), Metallica, SOAD, KORN, Disturbed and Marilyn Manson.
    Ok emo? Your talkin about Korn and disturbed. Korn has one of the whinest bitches in metal. John davis talk about the same shit over and over and over again chevelle focus on actual problems (the rit problem for one). Well Disturbed they are cool for a week then the stuff they put out annoys the hell out of u, there r much better nu metal bands out. But your are right about Metallica and SOAD.
    xluc1f3rx
    ^ Since when were Korn and Disturbed emo music? Grow up, seriously. And anyone who puts down metallica can **** off, as they are and always have been the biggest thing in heavy metal. Whether you like them or not, they are definetely not sucky!
    ReiDSaN
    Can't you all just get along and accept different people like different sorts of music?
    Kunzinator
    Godsmack Alice in Chains wannabes? Are you ****ing kidding me. Different album compared to others, but still a good disc. Lost its heaviness but gained a beautiful tone in the process.
    DareBear02 Wrote: Goddamnit! I can't believe people still listen to these baffoons! Godsmack has been sucking for years now and the fact that they are still around is a f*cking miricle in it self. They aren't singing about anything that's important or personal for that matter, no offense to any one who buys this record but you guys are probably still wondering when the next POD or Korn album comes out. Grow Up! There are Nu-Metal bands that sound better and have a little more respectability. Like Chevelle or Deftones, I dunno, it just frustrates me to see that a band like this would still be around and people would actually like them. They really aren't that aggressive in terms of hard rock, sure the guitarist uses a mesa boogie, and plays the same f*cking penatonic blues scale with some sh*t effects and have some guy who smoked too many cigaretts attempt to yelp angrily into a mike. I saw them perform a few years back (2003) in Germany, The Used opened for them (and I honestly hate that band) but they put on one hell of a performance, Godsmack looked and sounded like they were trying to be a older (like in their 40's) crappier version of a Godsmack Tribute group who were trying to reclaim their "youth" and failing miserably. I felt embarrassed for them as I watched the crown start to leave, and most of the people there came to see the godsmack! I dunno, they need to quit, I have a headache, and the fact people are ranting and raving about a sh*t-ass band only proves Billy Joe from greenday was right. You all are American Idiots, who would probably do anything to go into a gay bar and stomp on some "Fags" because it's the cool and masculine way to prove yourself. If Greenday couldn't save rock with "American Idiot" godsmack is the reason why, they give Hard Rock a bad f*cking name.
    Oh and for all you out there who go around insulting peoples sexuality based on their music taste being different, We all know that your just trying to act big on the internet, your not fooling anyone. Either that or you really do act like that in public, in which case I bet you get a daily ass kicking from, well, practically anybody you come into contact with.