IV review by Godsmack

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Apr 25, 2006
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.7 (129 votes)
Godsmack: IV
0

Sound — 9
The band sounds great on this album just like the rest of their albums, has some really good songs but has some acoustics on this CD which is new for the band since all their cds haven't had any acoustic except for 'The Other Side'. The CD is basically rock like they've always done, but has a noticeable bluesier tune to some of the songs. Not their best CD but still is worth buying.

Lyrics — 9
The lyrics are a lot 'friendlier' I guess you could say, not as hateful as most of their other songs. Seems like they focused more on the music for this album than the lyrics. The lyrics flow nicely with the sound, Sully did a great job keeping his pitch in the same area as what the music was playing.

Overall Impression — 9
'Speak' is definitely one of the better songs on the album. It has more of a modern rock sound than heavy like most of godsmack's songs in the past have had. 'The Enemy' goes back to the heavy sound, and is one of the only songs on the album that has any crude lyrics. 'One Rainy Day' and 'Shine Down' have the blues sound to them, which the band plays extremely well. Definitely makes this CD worth having whether your a godsmack fan or not.

15 comments sorted by best / new / date

    codeezie
    I've never seen a band blantantly rip off anyone as bad as Godsmack rips of Alice in Chains. Their name is taken from a song, they stole the logo, and Sully thinks he's Layne Staley. I have no respect for any bands that feed off of other people's original ideas and call them their own. These guys should have remained a cover band. Save your money for an Alice in Chains record or something.
    Jaykib
    codeezie wrote: I've never seen a band blantantly rip off anyone as bad as Godsmack rips of Alice in Chains. Their name is taken from a song, they stole the logo, and Sully thinks he's Layne Staley. I have no respect for any bands that feed off of other people's original ideas and call them their own. These guys should have remained a cover band. Save your money for an Alice in Chains record or something.
    Their name is not stolen from that song; Godsmack represents instant Karma at which you do wrong and something is noticably bad luck for you straight after - hence being smacked by the hand of God. Know what the **** you're talking about before you comment... As for AiC ripoffs...? *breaks into laughter*
    greenday_alk3
    Godsmack totally stole the whole Red IV logo from Coheed & Cambria, which is a WAY better band than godsmack. the guitar player for Godsmack needs to learn how to write a decent solo.
    fluffylump2
    i used to love godsmack. but they made the same record four times so i gave up on them. BUT: i will defend them. Their name does not come from an Alice in Chains song - it has to do with karma. Sully does not sound like Layne Staley in the least bit. He sounds more like James Hetfield. so don't play that card... it's cheap. do some research.
    Jaykib
    greenday_alk3 wrote: Godsmack totally stole the whole Red IV logo from Coheed & Cambria, which is a WAY better band than godsmack. the guitar player for Godsmack needs to learn how to write a decent solo.
    Dude... It's a roman numeral in red, and you claim they stole it? Cheap shot. I will agree however, their guitar player needs to stop recycling blues.
    Franchiworks
    Jaykib wrote: codeezie wrote: I've never seen a band blantantly rip off anyone as bad as Godsmack rips of Alice in Chains. Their name is taken from a song, they stole the logo, and Sully thinks he's Layne Staley. I have no respect for any bands that feed off of other people's original ideas and call them their own. These guys should have remained a cover band. Save your money for an Alice in Chains record or something. Their name is not stolen from that song; Godsmack represents instant Karma at which you do wrong and something is noticably bad luck for you straight after - hence being smacked by the hand of God. Know what the **** you're talking about before you comment... As for AiC ripoffs...? *breaks into laughter*
    As a matter of fact, Godsmack did take their name from the AIC song. If you saw any interviews with Sully Erna, you would know that Layne Staley's songwriting style is one of Erna's primary sources/inspiration for what he writes, while Rush and Led Zeppelin contribute to Godsmack's way of performing live (using props/visuals/lights for a big rock show feel.) I used to love Godsmack, but have since moved on to more versatile bands. Godsmack is ok, but the songs on Faceless all sounded too similar to make much impact.
    Jaykib
    Franchiworks wrote: As a matter of fact, Godsmack did take their name from the AIC song. If you saw any interviews with Sully Erna, you would know that Layne Staley's songwriting style is one of Erna's primary sources/inspiration for what he writes, while Rush and Led Zeppelin contribute to Godsmack's way of performing live (using props/visuals/lights for a big rock show feel.) I used to love Godsmack, but have since moved on to more versatile bands. Godsmack is ok, but the songs on Faceless all sounded too similar to make much impact.
    They were aware of the song, but didn't think anything of it [Sully says], I think it's safe to stalemate on this then. And yeah, I used to like Godsmack alot too but their message just comes out over and over, like that of System of a Down.
    havocrus
    This cd is OK at best, I think the first 2 cd's were great, but no-one can produce top of the line shit time after time, as Metallica has proven. The good side is once you've dropped a notch, there's room to grow again.
    gsr2k6
    This Cd is good imo, whoever said godsmack is a alice in chains wannabe... your comparing metal/numetal to grunge, and who even brought greenday into the argument? Greenday is a crappy pop punk band that whines about whatevers popular to whine about, why are you comparing them to godsmack? Grow up kids, listen to the music you like, dont make a point to insult the bands you dont.
    otherkid
    hey i think they kick ass, one of the better rocks bands rite now, and better sully is related to mi neighbor so hopefully that means tickets some time soon
    blakplague215
    6al9oy wrote: not to mention chevelle, pod, the used and deftones. All emo's suck dick and punk rock sounds more poppish recently. And most importantly Billy Joe is a fag. Bands you should listen to: Slayer(except Daibolus in Musica and their new album), Metallica, SOAD, KORN, Disturbed and Marilyn Manson.
    seriously? okay 1. godsmack rocks 2. System, KoRn, Disturbed, and Manson rock too. dont be as selective aboiut what you listen to. if all you listen to is 5 bands then when you go buy a CD, you are screwed because your taste in music is so miniscule that you end up rejecting everything. so shut it
    better_than_you
    man godsmack solos really do suck....BAD. its like listening to a siamese cat in a blender on high. He has no rythmic sense. and dont be talking about Green Day here, this aint even a green day thread.
    shadowsofbodom
    ^ hey, i only spoke about green day cuz someone compared them to godsmack, godsmack may not have the best guitar but they beat the shit out of green day, ill say whats on my mind motherf***er