IV review by Godsmack

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Godsmack: IV

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed by "Faceless". When I first heard "Speak", I was like "Oh, yeah! This is gonna be awesome". The riff was awesome and the drums sounded pretty cool, too. Then there was the awesome guitar solo by Tony Rombola. Then I bought the CD and, again, was somewhat disappointed. The music was noticeably different. What I mean is that this album's style predominantly keeps to their original formula, but you can easily tell they strayed away from it a little. The riffs on a lot of the songs were more bluesy and not quite as heavy. Plus, on this album there are only a couple of guitar solos, as opposed to their first three albums when there were solos all over the place. The music was cool, but I prefer their earlier material.

The lyrics pretty much stayed in line with Godsmack's original style, but with a couple of obvious differences (i.e. Shine Down, Mama). I must admit, though, Sully's lyrics aren't quite up to par with those of "Awake". The same goes for his performance. He does it well, but not quite as well.

Honestly, I think of "IV" as "Faceless, Pt. 2", only just slightly heavier and darker. In my opinion, "Awake" was Godsmack's best album. Overall, this album is acceptable, but I'm not gonna jump to give this one 10s all over the place. I must say, though, I really did like Speak, Livin' In Sin, Voodoo Too, and Temptation. It's a good album, but not quite as good as "Awake". Needs more solos and heavier riffs.

I was here
    why has everyone started to attack godsmack? sure i like them and alice in chains, but still f**kin darebear02 how can you compare godsmack to greenday, the f**kin suck, and now after american idiot came out they became major sell outs, and what kind of name is darebear02 what a f**kin sissy names dumbass
    johnm2k6
    greenday_alk3 wrote: Godsmack totally stole the whole Red IV logo from Coheed & Cambria, which is a WAY better band than godsmack. the guitar player for Godsmack needs to learn how to write a decent solo.
    Wait a minute. Your a Greenday fan criticizin Tony of not bein able to right a gd solo the solos from american idiot and wake me up when september ends are the s**test thing ive ever heard.