IV review by Godsmack

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Godsmack: IV

Unlike the other studio albums, IV takes a more blues-rock approach as opposed to their normal metal approach. It delivers all the goods from the past albums plus a lot more variety of styles and feels toward the music. The bass is very upfront and the guitar is in your face. On the 4th track "Shinedown", the introduction with the harmonica is a great example of the more bluesy feel. The album closer "One Rainy Day" is a prime example of just how much their sound has matured since "Faceless".

The lyrics are a bit more mature than the previous album "Faceless", a bit. While it's obvious they put more time and effort into these songs, they still deal with the same universal themes of lost love, depravity, and angst. The words do, however, support the music better than the other albums. I would personally say Sully does a lot better job singing this time around than on "The Other Side". The backup vocals are all brilliant and the guest vocalist on "Hollow" does a great job accentuating Sully's vocals.

For me, personally, this is the Godsmack record to get. It might not be as energetic as "Awake" or "Godsmack" but it sounds better. The solos are inspiring and Tony's leads are second to nothing he's done before. It is one of the finest records of the decade thus far. My favorite songs are "One Rainy Day", "Livin In Sin", and "Temptation". My favorite thing about the album is that it sounds genuine and unlike anything out now. My only complaint would have to be that "Voodoo Too" sounds almost too much like the original Voodoo, until the jaw-dropping solo that is. If someone stole this cd, I'd congratulate the limp-d*ck bastard for having the balls to do so, then rip them off. I wouldn't go too ape-sh*t because I have backed-up on my computer, but I'd be pissed. Buy this CD if you know what's good for you!

sector_seven
    here we go another great album from godsmack! thats all i have to say about it, just great recording. In this album you see they matured musicaly.
    rip3149
    yall need to realixe that this album is not meant to be just another godsmack album or a metal album. It's meant to tell you what the band fells like making right now and what mindset they're in. I think its called the "CREATIVE PROCESS". Watch any doc about a rock/metal band making an album and thats exactly what you see. If u don't agree with the album then you don't agree with what the band feels like writing at this time. That gives no reason to say their a ripoff of AIC ,a group of old has-beens, or sucky. If you don't like it leave it alone! One further note, DareBear02 said that Greenday is better than Godsmack, koRn, and Metallica. He can suck my balls, thats my opinion and i'm entitled to it. But on that subject, greenday is f*cking punk (sucky-ass punk) and godsmack is alternative metal... u cannot possibly compare the 2 as they are different styles and musical preferences. It's like saying Eminem is a better musician than James Hetfield (metallica). He might be, i don't agree with it, but he might be. You cannot possibly tell because they are different styles and genres. Metallica, Godsmack, KoRn, SOAD, Pantera. ALl metal, all different and unique, try each