IV review by Godsmack

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
Godsmack: IV

As usual, Godsmack came out with another majorly impressive album. This CD unlike before is more country sounding, but yet, it blends well, and I love it although I hate country. I knew that as soon as Speak showed up on the radio, I knew ahead of time that Godsmack had made their return, and even better than before, expecially after songs like Touche. I thought it was great news to know they were making a comeback.

The lyrics are are in your face, as usual, but then there is Shinedown, which is more of a christian song, and the deeper songs like Mama, one Rainy Day, and Bleeding Me. Of course you have to love Speak, though it did get old, and of course you have to love Shinedown, which is still as good is it was the first time I heard it on the radio.

Overall, I am in love with this CD, I listen to it everyday, and I got it a week after it came out. My favorite song shifts, depending on my mood. But other than the more popular songs, Living In Sin, Bleeding Me, and One Rainy Day are my favorites. And I love the harmonica part that Sully plays before the guitar kicks off on Shinedown. Actually, there is nothing I don't like about this CD.

WarCreekMafia
    Ok....First things first.....and this my personal opinion.....As far as this new Godsmack album goes, i think it's great. Great songs, they're tight, great guitar tone, and the drums are explosive. So what the solo's aren't the greatest in the world. Not everyone can be Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, or Dimebag Darrell. But Tony Rombolla does a great job of doing what he does in his style. I think this one is the best Godsmack albums in a while because of the songwriting and production. Very much more mature album than previous efforts. You can definately tell they're stretching out their musical abilities on this album. Now, this is coming from a guy who grew up his whole life listening to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Dio, Ozzy (is GOD!!) old Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc..... As far as the comment about Godsmack being an Alice In Chains ripoff.....What the hell? Totally diffent styles of music. That's like saying Slayer is an Ozzy Osbourne ripoff. Godsmack doesn't have the vocal harmonies, or the guitar stylings of Alice In Chains. Just way too different to say they sound the same. Now....let's get on to Green Day.... Over commercialized bubble gum pop for teenage girls who wanna call themselves punk. Green Day has never produced anything that I would call "real" punk. For example, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, Generation X, The Misfits, etc..... The thing i see with alot of bands as far as whether they suck or not is do they have staying power.....Take Black Sabbath for instance....They're going on 40 years and are still as relevant today if not more than they were in their day. Same can be said of bands like Motorhead, Led Zeppelin, Metallica (even though i think everything after the Black Album sucked, but that's just me), and Megadeth (and yes, i forgot all about RISK). These are all bands that 20 to 30 years later are still considered relevant, and still continue to draw new fans every day. I think that Godsmack may become one of these bands. I don't however see bands like Coheed in Cambria, Children Of Bodom, Deftones, System of a Down, or Killswitch Engage being required rock listening material 20 years from now. When these bands decide to do a reunion tour when they're in their 40's and 50's, is it gonna be some worldwide event that everyone is gonna be talking about like when the original Sabbath, or Pink Floyd, or the upcoming Zeppelin (with Jason Bonham)shows were. I hardly doubt it. And Green Day saving Rock? Are you ****ing serious? Green Day couldn't find a great guitar riff with a chord book, 2 hands and a flashlight, much less save a genre of music that is in no danger of dying in the first place. Get your head out of your ass and get the Sabbath Black Box. Anyway, that is my rant to all of you closed minded, I can only listen to Cookie Monster vocals and way too fast, non musical guitars people out there. Do yourself a favor and listen to the founding fathers of hard rock and metal before you criticize what someone else is listening to. Chances are, the stuff you're listening to would never hold up to what these guys have already done, and done way better.
    -metalhead-
    ...and Green Day is a sorry excuse for music yeah, I said it.(sorry for posting such a dick comment) anyway...godsmack rules! peace...
    Smithsc
    I have to say that after buying and listening to all other Godsmack albums, I was so damn excited to go pick this CD up at the store, and let me tell you, I was not disappointed, not in the least. I cant fu*kin wait to hear more Godsmack in the future, I hope they come out with their best sh*t yet!!!
    Smithsc
    pfricky98 wrote: DareBear02 wrote: Goddamnit! I can't believe people still listen to these baffoons! Godsmack has been sucking for years now and the fact that they are still around is a f*cking miricle in it self. They aren't singing about anything that's important or personal for that matter, no offense to any one who buys this record but you guys are probably still wondering when the next POD or Korn album comes out. Grow Up! There are Nu-Metal bands that sound better and have a little more respectability. Like Chevelle or Deftones, I dunno, it just frustrates me to see that a band like this would still be around and people would actually like them. They really aren't that aggressive in terms of hard rock, sure the guitarist uses a mesa boogie, and plays the same f*cking penatonic blues scale with some sh*t effects and have some guy who smoked too many cigaretts attempt to yelp angrily into a mike. I saw them perform a few years back (2003) in Germany, The Used opened for them (and I honestly hate that band) but they put on one hell of a performance, Godsmack looked and sounded like they were trying to be a older (like in their 40's) crappier version of a Godsmack Tribute group who were trying to reclaim their "youth" and failing miserably. I felt embarrassed for them as I watched the crown start to leave, and most of the people there came to see the godsmack! I dunno, they need to quit, I have a headache, and the fact people are ranting and raving about a sh*t-ass band only proves Billy Joe from greenday was right. You all are American Idiots, who would probably do anything to go into a gay bar and stomp on some "Fags" because it's the cool and masculine way to prove yourself. If Greenday couldn't save rock with "American Idiot" godsmack is the reason why, they give Hard Rock a bad f*cking name. Godsmack doesn't use a penatonic blues scales in any of theirs. If you sat down and listen to the music you would hear that. They actually play in F major and G major. So they solo with the F and F major scales.
    wow i cant believe you spent that much time making a comment that big. f*ck you and go complain where people will listen to you. get a life you fag, and go listen to the jonas brothers.
    Captain Sadler
    xSacrilegex wrote: When Sully said "And I know there's someone above" in Shine Down, I quit listening.
    Wow. So you've got a lot of musical taste eh? So I bet you would never even *consider* listening to any music that is marketed as christian (not that this is) even if it happened to be good? No wait, I'll go a step further: If it's a tiny bit positive, it sucks. Wow... Ok. Go ahead and wallow in your Cannibal Corpse shit... have fun there buddy... Me, I'll give anything a listen, and I prefer quality.