The Other Side review by Godsmack

• Released: Mar 16, 2004
Godsmack: The Other Side

Godsmack's acoustic sound is awesome. If you listen to rock radio you have probably heard their first singe, Running Blind. The album only gets better from there. Songs like Touche, and Voices have a very Godsmack feel to them which is not a bad thing. The songs that they have taken from the old and made new again are: Re-Align, Keep Away, and Spiral. The music and even the lyrics follow along with similar styles to the original versions. The last track on the album is titled Asleep. It is essentially Awake, but it is revamped and rearranged. Sully has taken one of Godsmack's heavier songs and turned it into an acoustic masterpiece with this track. It sounds and flows nicely.

Anyone who is a Godsmack fan knows that Sully Erna's lyrics are full of spirituality and very deep into karma, fate and reincarnation. Since some of the songs are just new versions of old the lyric quality for those tracks is the same. The new songs like I said had a very Godsmack feel to them. I also said it wasnt a bad thing. And of course I mean it. The songs are well written and the lyrics, as Sully always does, paint pictures for the listener. Sully is a very talented song writer and singer and he really proves it here.

Overall this album is so far my favorite of 2004. I have bought about half a dozen cds and hands down this is the best. I am a huge Godsmack fan and own all the cds. I would say that this is my overall second Godsmack favorite. Favor going to the self titled, but only because it is longer. I think that Godsmack could have gone as far to put at least three more tracks on this new cd. Since there are only three new songs, they could have maybe thrown on some other old favorites like Releasing the Demons, Whatever, Time Bomb, or Goin' Down. Overall however, this album is as hard rockin as you can get without an electric guitar.