The Other Side review by Godsmack

• Released: Mar 16, 2004
Godsmack: The Other Side

The switch to acoustic is not only a suprise, but very refreshing. There aren't many bands that can pull of the acoustic approach to music (when they normally play with heavy distortion on nothing but electrics), but here is one. With three new songs and four "remixed" ones, Godsmack has definately earned their place in rock stardom. The solo on "Keep Away" definately shows that the bands musical influences vary from just about anything and everything, and "Asleep", the revemped version of "Awake", is by far a symbol of their genius in writing.

Lyrically, this album is about on the same level as the rest of their albums, with the exception that it is geared more toward the acoustic sound. Sully shows in this work that he isn't all about the screaming anger of "Faceless" or "Awake". He shows a softer side that everyone can appreciate, and it works for them. As for vocal work, I'm still trying to figure out who is snoring at the end of "Asleep"...

This is by far their best album to date. If you have never listened to Godsmack before, then this would probably be the one to get you hooked. The songs that really stand out are "Touch", "Running Blind", and "Spiral". The acoustic touch on "Spiral" really brings out the feeling in that song, and you can understand the meaning behind it a bit better than the original. If this album were stolen from me, I would definately end up in jail for assault (theiving sunuvabich deserves it), and yes, I would look in every store to find it. This is a must have for any music collection.