Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike Review

Gogol Bordello: Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike
Release Date: Aug 9, 2005
Label: Side One Dummy
Genres: Obscuro
A truly universal album that encompasses America's eternal immigrant story, urban living, and a love of life and music that translates into every language on earth.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike Reviewed by: :Revenga:, on march 01, 2006

Sound: I was suprised to see that there is nothing whatsoever concerning Gogol Bordello on this website and I thought that was just not on whatsoever! So I decided to write a review to this fantastic album. Gogol Bordello have such a unique sound it is ubelievable, combining violins and accordions and slightly Frenchish accents, they base on the same principles as Flogging Molly, fusing folk music with punk, and like FM, it works out perfet. This album is their newest one and probably the best one, and allthough the album doesn't seem to have a specific theme (the term Cultural Revolution is said a few times though) the songs all have their meaning. The sound itself manages to vary but keep the same roots. Some songs are fast paced, but some are slow but they all keep the same folkish tone throughout, and it really sounds so original, allthough I think they may be a like them or hate them kind of band as some of the songs do press on with the same riffs over a period of time. The sound given off by the various different instruments (guitars, acoustics, violins, accordions, percussion, bass, drums) blends together to give the music such a precious vibe that has to be loved, a sound that can keep you on your toes and bobbing in your chairs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs are unusual and humorous to say the least: "I'd like to be a big fat fucking fly/The one that spins around your head all dday and all night." And more than once, infact alot of the times, Eugene sings in what I presume to be his native tongue, Ukranian, which gives an extra spice to the music that couldn't be achieved with English. Eugene Hutz also sings with a slight accent at times, which rhymes words that you would never thought could, and again this adds alot to the music. Hutz isn't what you would call a good singer, but he's good for what he does, and that's all that matters. // 10

Overall Impression: This album only drops below perfection once for me, between tracks 4 and 6, bearing in mind theyre still amazing tracks. It's hard not to love such head bopping songs such as "Oh No," "Think Locally, F--k Globally" and "Not A Crime." The album starts on and finishes with the fucking amazing songs "Sally" and "Mishto!" Really, the only song that doesnt keep the perfect theme going is "60 Revolutions," but again, its not a bad track! I haven't heard much of the other stuff, but what I have heard does compare with Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike, allthough its not as well planned out, this new album is obviously better produced. The album features a remake of the song "Start Wearing Purple" from the band's first album "Voi-La Intruder." Gogol Bordello posess the power to lift you, when you don't feel so good, you stick on this album and you can't help but smile and feel good when yuo hear the violin and accordion riffs mixed in with the punkish guitaring, and I guess thats what attracts me so much to it, although the guitar can get a bit repetetive at sometimes. This album has sparked me to buy a ticket to see them live when they come to Glasgow, and also to buy everyother album they have, its so worth it it's unbelievable. // 10

Comments