From Mars To Sirius review by Gojira

• Released: Sep 27, 2005
Gojira: From Mars To Sirius

When I first picked up this CD, I was skeptical about the whole Whale thing. But once the first track "Ocean Planet" started to play I was blown away by the sound. Not only is this CD's guitar technical, but the drums I found were just as great. The bass was kinda low key in this record as compared to some of their other cd's but the guitar easily made up for the lack of bass.

The lyrics on this CD were pretty good, which is hard to find in metal bands from other countries. But I really enjoyed how the songs were all written in first person. The lyrics are solid, but once you actually listen and read them, it seems that these lyrics don't fit with the song. But somehow Gojira makes the songs fit well with the sound of the album.

In my honest opinion, this is possibly one of the greatest CD's from 2005 and it's a must buy for any metal fan. If your looking for a really good intro song I would recommend "Ocean Planet" or "Backbone" another good but long song is "Flying Whales". The main reason why I love Gojira is their sound, it's honestly like nothing that is out right now. Like I said before I would highly recommend this CD to anyone who likes bands like Lamb Of God, All That Remains, or just music from Europe.

kalamari
    One of the tightest live bands around! Damn the drummer is good... and yeah their harmonic pick slide technique is pretty cool. This album is immense, buy if you want to hear some real metal, and yes the French DO rock! \m/ I think I'll go and listen to "where dragons dwell" now...
    creativeboner
    This was a turning point for metal music. Very influential album for a lot of people out there and its good to know that there are bands out there that are doing their own things.
    jonnyharris1
    I cannot stress enough how much you have to get this cd. Gojira are insane, the songs fuse geniously clever prog with death metal and still manage increidibly melodic moments along the way. Quite how they make some of the noises on their guitars that you hear are beyond me, lol
    J.A.M
    I NEED this album. I remember hearing "The Heaviest Matter In The Universe" for the first time. It blew my mind, insanely heavy.
    Corvetteman
    I saw these guys open for Lamb Of God, and was blown away. Me and my friends were all talking about how lame they probably were, since they were from France, but then they started playing!! They should have co headlined and made trivium open instead lol. I would say this is one of the best cds I've ever bought. Even a non-metal listener could like these guys. I give it a 10
    fr33t0m
    I can't stop listening to this CD. Gojira mixes all my favorite genres together and they do it with the highest artist quality. The songs have a heavy groove with the brutality of death metal, the atmosphere of doom metal, and the original/complex song structures and timings of progressive metal with perfectly fitting vocals. Go listen to this album now!
    ThunderThor
    who says only mexicans play bass? First off they probably can't hold on and slide all over from the grease, and second every listen to Justin Chancellor, Les Claypool or Victor Wooten?
    antoniobanderas
    When I first picked up this CD, I was skeptical about the whole Whale thing. LOL! also, only mexican's play bass, and there are no illegal aliens in france, so that's why this cd has bad bass. also, you could be writing this review from any country!
    Metal_R_Us
    Gojira are amazing. I saw them in December with Bodom and there just as good live as they are on the album.
    got_trivium?
    they are just as good, if not better, live. spectacular band, can't wait to see them again.
    k90728
    YES! This CD is so great. The Harmonics are insane. My favorite CD out of all. The lyrics are all about the Natural Resources which is a good thing. The only bad thing is that some songs can sound repetive(sp?). Hopefully i see em on tour this year!!!
    supermans-dead
    first time i saw these guys was when the supported trivium and anihilotor in dublin. loved them so much spent weeks lookin for the tracks. =P
    br4d
    oh yeah you can listen to this whole cd on their website
    Gakusey
    Damn, I want to say again after listening to them everyday for the last couple of weeks (though I've heard of 'em in like 2002 when my French friend (that sounds weird) told me about 'em) - THIS BAND IS THE SHIT! It's so freakin' awesome, I can't believe it! Anyone who likes Mastodon, Meshuggah (though these guys are more melodic) and just good heavy melodic music should forget everything and check them out! P.S. Check out the live vid for "Clone" of their first album on YouTube!
    Burning_Angel
    Bands from other countries dont have good lyrics? please. scandinavian metal has some of the best lyrics. And they are much more like a cross between Mastodon and Meshuggah than any of those metalcore bands the reviewer listed.
    papercuteye
    One of the heaviest, original records out there. It might not be heavy to some, but its heavy to me if you can be heavy with octaves!
    Zvonimir07
    Probably the most amazing band in concert and on CD ever. I love how there's never an absense of sound. No matter what. There's no random, awkward gaps. Its always filled with pure heavyness.