The Way Of All Flesh review by Gojira

• Released: Oct 13, 2008
Gojira: The Way Of All Flesh

Like a whale skydiving, Gojira left a colossal dent in the metal scene in 2005 with the overwhelmingly well received From Mars To Sirius'. After backing their new-found acclaim with a successful string of tours -- bringing their bombastic brand of death-thrash-whatever to ever widening audiences -- they kind of fell off the face of the earth. However, all of a sudden, looming over the horizon with a sadistic grin, we have The Way Of All Flesh', their newest disc. Straight off the bat there's that infectious ride-cymbal groove that we all know and love, courtesy of Mario Duplantier, and the warm, welcoming sound of a Joe Duplantier riff.

I'll be honest with you all; I did not care for From Mars To Sirius', or the Frenchmen's 2003 effort The Link', but that notorious tightness' finally got the best of me with this one. In fact, the screws are turned ever tighter here, as even the sludgy outbursts of From Mars... ' are condensed into razor-sharp rhythmic poundings, finalising Gojira's transition from band to part-cyborg riff machine. It is disturbingly easy to get sucked into the power behind it all, and as soon as you become comfortable, they pull something entirely new out of the bag. For example, after opening with Oroborus' and Toxic Garbage Island', two standard heavy tracks, we move on to A Sight To Behold', a bizarre creature based around a simple synth line and vocoded vocals which writhes in anticipation, without ever seemingly reaching that all-important climax point. Still, an exercise like this is entirely satisfying to the listener. Considering From Mars To Sirius' was a quagmire that wore you out long before it should have, ... All Flesh' is mixed impressively well. A crisper sound is adopted this time, giving every instrument some room to breathe, which can only be a good thing.

For the more environmentally conscious death metaller in all of us, Gojira provide some food for thought about life, our planet and existence itself. Just what we all need, Greenpeace in our metal. Seriously though, for all the merit behind Joe Duplantier's messages, they can be difficult to follow as often full songs are scribed from very simple ideas and extracting a meaning from them can be a daunting task. Let's face it though; accessibility is not Gojira's game, so the eloquence is appreciated regardless. As with each album, Duplantier's distinctive vocal style comes closer to being one with the other instruments, and thankfully all traces of the grating inflections of The Link' are now nowhere to be seen. As a frontman and band leader Duplantier really gets the job done, co-writing all music with his brother Mario as well as handling vocals, guitars, production and even artwork to a slick standard.

For the moderate experimentation and progression they've made, Gojira circa 2008 still feels like the same brick-in-the-face Gojira that they always have been. The difference is that this time everything is more streamlined and the fat has been cut so that even the 9 minute The Art Of Dying', Gojira's longest song to date, feels neat and tidy, the while continuing to strike you with the proverbial brick. Even the marginy duff The Tears' and Wolf Down The Earth' have some way of working in the grand scheme of things. The flow of the album's songs is worth noting, with a good running order and segues between songs varying from an extended ambient break to mere nanoseconds before the next pummelling. in , a real classy album, the sort of thing Gojira needed to release to justify their status as an established professional act. Hell, just listen to Vacuity'. You don't wanna f--k with that.

ItWillDo
    uk.mace
    Loving the new album, esp. 'The Art of Dying' and 'Vacuity'. Some good stuff
    steve_a7x
    would people say this was better than there last album? think i might just buy it, heard good things about it
    PathogenIC
    i saw them at the radio rebellion tour before i had ever even heard of them. I remember thinking "whales? What the **** is that shit all about?" and then i remember spooging all over when i heard them... and this new album reintroduced to that. My desk is so damn sticky
    Knotism
    Deserves a better grade. This album is one of the best Gojira has made. Love it.
    TheEsupremacy
    Yeah, these guys smoke. This is a MUST cd for the riffheads. Gojira has definately got it going on.
    killadelphia222
    Reviewer Pete
    Ash on fires wrote: Yeah, seriously what's with that kind of score? This is so good! Maybe Pete will give it more points...
    Hexagram
    just bought it a couple of hours ago and have yet to get a complete listen through, but thus far it is much better than the 7.7 rating that has been given by the reviewer
    lambofgodowns
    killadelphia222 wrote: PathogenIC wrote: i saw them at the radio rebellion tour before i had ever even heard of them. I remember thinking "whales? What the **** is that shit all about?" "Hey, we're gojira, we're from france." -Oh, I'm leaving. "We sing about whales" -I'm deffinatly leaving. "They fly." -...I think I'll stay...
    hahaha thanks richie for stealing my quote... nah its alright. I also saw them at radio rebellion tour and barely knew anything about them -"HELLO! WE ARE GOJIRA! AND WE ARE FROM FRANCE!!" -"I'm outta here..." -"WE SING ABOUT WHALES!!!" -"Pssh! I'm definitely outta here!" -"THEY FLY!!" -"....hmmm... I'll stay..." HAHAHAHA!!
    bowen
    Bought the cd yesterday, and I'm really lovin it. I hate how everyband that comes near Vancouver plays at the 19+ venues >
    duncang
    ItWillDo wrote: 7.7? That's rediculously low. This might be the best release this year. Did you guys even listen to the damn album?
    Lol. It's a result of UG's averaging, where the 7 I gave for lyrics puts the average slighter lower. My overall personal score would be around an 8 or 8.5 Also, people need to stop thinking that 7/10 means 'bad'. Read the review, not the rating.
    ascendancy2
    I love this album from beggining to end, definately one of my favorite, if not my favorite, release of the year. Full of neat little surprises here and there, and produced really well. It still draws me into a state of metallic meditation like "From Mars" and i could just sit here brain-dead for the whole 65 odd minutes just listening to it. Admittedly, it does take a listen or two for it to grow on you if you have "From Mars" still embedded in your brain, but if you kind start afresh before listening to this album and just taking it as it is, you can see the point. Brilliant album!
    Tempus
    Like a hybrid of Terra Incognita and From Mars to Sirius. Wish it was more like the former, though...
    Kelicon
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....
    Unforgiven87
    I JIZZ IN MY PANTS WHENEVER I LISTEN TO GOJIRA... seriously yeah but my story about goj being one of my favourites is... i went to see all that remains with in flames headlining on nov. 7th/08. first 36 crazyfists were playing, and i wasnt aware of their existence back then. when they were done gojira came on, and i was assuming that they were good, cause my friend said they were amazing, so when they played, i jizzed in my pants, best part of the show, i bought all of their albums the next day. i cant go a day without listening to gojira lol, theyre so good, and unique.
    Ash on fires
    stevenlogan
    motherfukers, i saw them live one time but i like the cd sound better. their techs dont know shit.
    StraightHate
    Esoteric Surgery is a great track. I like their last album a bit better but this one is growing one me as well.
    dial-a-death
    Saw them supporting In Flames, the drummer was amazingly fast, his knees were practically vibrating! Needless to say my gf loved it ;p Great performance though, and much better than Sonic Syndicate.
    fr33t0m
    This is an amazing work of art! Anyone who likes good music needs this album. The reviewer did not give this album a fair score, it deserves at least a 9.5!
    skyfire322
    It is a good album I guess. The only other Gojira album I have is "From Mars To Sirius". I personally like that one better. Although, The Art Of Dying (my favorite one of the album) really does have a Meshuggah type of sound.
    dreamtheater91
    Being a massive fan, this album left a little to be desired. They went back to their old sound with modern production. Think "Terra Incognita v.2". Very different from FMTS. The Link being my favorite, I would rank this one 3rd best. Still definitely worth picking up.
    Phe4rTheGod
    saw them live once, decent...not a huge fan, but I'll give this album a listen...
    SteLuvsGuitar
    I gotta say, this is the best band around in my eyes. No other band sounds anything like them, they are their own genre! Got every album they've made and each 1 is amazing
    Blakaos
    I saw them on tuesday and they did a good performance. They are ****ing agressive live.
    baspvn
    from mars to sirius is way better imo but this album is pretty cool :]