Summer House review by Gold Motel

• Released: Jun 1, 2010
Gold Motel: Summer House

Most people who've heard of Gold Motel, probably know about them because the lead singer is Greta Salpeter (Now known as Greta Morgan) of the Hush Sound, and the question people most ask me about Gold Motel is "do they sound like the Hush Sound?". While there is some similarity to this and the Hush Sound's last album (Goodbye Blues), this album's a lot less bluesy. Greta also takes a different singing style from anything she's done before. So while yes, there is some resemblance to the Hush Sound, its slight, but that's not a bad thing by any means. The entire album, like the name suggests, really has a summer feel to it. There are slower, slightly more somber songs such as Who Will I Be Tonight?, and very upbeat songs like Summer House and Safe in L.A. The band features Greta, singing and playing the piano, Eric Hehr on the guitar, Dan Duszynski also on the guitar, as well as providing background vocals, Matt Minx playing the bass and Adam Coldhouse with the drums. The drums really drive the album, and the guitars and bass provide a very solid rhythm section. The piano adds a very interesting texture to all the songs. While it doesn't take center stage as often as her past work, it gives a very nice feel to the entire album. When the piano does take the stage however, it feels very natural, and blends well with Greta's voice.

Greta is an excellent singer, and she does not disappoint in this album. Stealing the Moonlight, Fireworks After Midnight and Don't Send the Searchlights show her skill well in this album. All the lyrics go very well with the music, and they're all very catchy, its not uncommon for me to find myself mouthing the words subconsciously. And yes, these are the kind of songs that will get stuck in your head far too easily. There are a few lines that feel forced, like she couldn't figure out something to rhyme with the last rhyme, but they're still passable, and there are very few albums that don't feel like this at times.

This album is one of my favorites, and its a very good album all around. I love the entire sound, and undoubtedly, I'll be listening to this all this summer and probably quite some time after that. Stealing the Moonlight, Fireworks After Midnight and Don't Send the Searchlights are my 3 favorite songs from the album, and while they're not better by leaps and bounds than the rest of the album, if you still have reservations about buying this album, listen to these songs on their MySpace and then make your decision. The album is very short, only about 30 minutes, and it costs $10 on iTunes. So yes, comparatively its a bit more expensive than other albums. Despite the short length, I'd recommend this album to anyone who likes indie piano rock. Its a solid album, and I look forward to future endeavors by this band.