Disconnection Notice review by Goldfinger

• Released: Feb 15, 2005
Goldfinger: Disconnection Notice

Finally Goldfinger have released the follow up to "Open Your Eyes." Anybody expecting "Disconnection Notice" to be "Open Your Eyes Part II" need not listen to this album, as Goldfinger have altered their style once more, releasing a lighter, more pop orientated album. Keyboards are more prominent, the guitars use the soft verse/loud chorus formula which has become popular with many pop-punk bands, and the songs have generally become happier, loosing the angry, buzzsaw guitars and hard rock undertones of "Open Your Eyes."

The lyrics aren't bad and in my opinion, John Feldman is a good frontman. However, for a lot of the songs, the lyrics are merely average, which dissapointed me. There are some good songs lyrically on the album, but much of the album is more focused on writing catchy hooks and hummable melodies. The exception being "Behind The Mask" which is an interesting listen, from the British woman talking about anti-vegetarianism to the old school Goldfinger ska-sound. Before I move on, I have to give props to "Wasted" which genuinely made me laugh.

John Feldman has produced albums with Good Charlotte and Mest, and his influence on their albums has rubbed off on Goldfinger, as this album is very pop-punk orientated. In my opinion, this is a welcome change from the politically charged punk rock of their previous release, however, this album doesn't excite me like Goldfinger's self titled release did. Best songs: Stalker (hillarious and catchy), Iron Fist (don't judge this song by it's title, it has hints of surf music and is a nice listen) and Damaged (a refreshing change on this album from the relentlessly upbeat power-pop songs). Verdict: a good album, but in comparison to their other releases, a bit of a weak effort. Kudos for experimenting with other styles, but Goldfinger could do much better, and hopefully will with future releases.