Disconnection Notice Review

Goldfinger: Disconnection Notice
Released: Feb 15, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Ska-Punk
After ten years, several indie albums and thousands of shows, including last summer's Reading Festival performing before 80,000 fans, Goldfinger's first Maverick disc finds the magic touch.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 8.4
 8.8
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Disconnection Notice Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2005

Sound: Overall it's OK. Not one of thier stronger CDs and I didn't really hear many guitar riffs which kind of bothers me. I think Goldfinger is trying to turn into a more modern day band and they are trying to apeal to different people and to a different genre. Where as they used to play what they thought sounded good. If you're a Goldfinger fan then you'd know that this and open your eyes is very weak on Goldfinger's part. The sound was pretty good. // 8

Lyrics: John Feldman has always provided the band with the vocals they needed to fit the music. John Feldman performed well in this album but the lyrics were not very catchy. Stalker was one of the only songs I thought was worthy of listening to over and over again. Once again they are trying to turn over to a different genre including the lyrics. They've quit writting like the old stuff and they are trying to write new stuff more on the punk-pop side. The lyrics aren't something that will stick in your head behind the mask is, and Stalker are pretty much the only ones that are. Lyrics are OK. // 6

Overall Impression: I wouldn't recommend buying the album. If you want good music get Goldfinger's self titled album, hang-ups, or stomping ground. I am a pretty big fan of Goldfinger's older stuff, this album just proved to be pretty dull for me. // 6

Disconnection Notice Reviewed by: DisgruntledDuck, on february 16, 2005

Sound: Finally Goldfinger have released the follow up to "Open Your Eyes." Anybody expecting "Disconnection Notice" to be "Open Your Eyes Part II" need not listen to this album, as Goldfinger have altered their style once more, releasing a lighter, more pop orientated album. Keyboards are more prominent, the guitars use the soft verse/loud chorus formula which has become popular with many pop-punk bands, and the songs have generally become happier, loosing the angry, buzzsaw guitars and hard rock undertones of "Open Your Eyes." // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't bad and in my opinion, John Feldman is a good frontman. However, for a lot of the songs, the lyrics are merely average, which dissapointed me. There are some good songs lyrically on the album, but much of the album is more focused on writing catchy hooks and hummable melodies. The exception being "Behind The Mask" which is an interesting listen, from the British woman talking about anti-vegetarianism to the old school Goldfinger ska-sound. Before I move on, I have to give props to "Wasted" which genuinely made me laugh. // 6

Overall Impression: John Feldman has produced albums with Good Charlotte and Mest, and his influence on their albums has rubbed off on Goldfinger, as this album is very pop-punk orientated. In my opinion, this is a welcome change from the politically charged punk rock of their previous release, however, this album doesn't excite me like Goldfinger's self titled release did. Best songs: Stalker (hillarious and catchy), Iron Fist (don't judge this song by it's title, it has hints of surf music and is a nice listen) and Damaged (a refreshing change on this album from the relentlessly upbeat power-pop songs). Verdict: a good album, but in comparison to their other releases, a bit of a weak effort. Kudos for experimenting with other styles, but Goldfinger could do much better, and hopefully will with future releases. // 8

Disconnection Notice Reviewed by: GDrock9842, on april 25, 2005

Sound: The sound is really modern day punk almost like somethings you'd hear from Green Day but it has its own originality too, which is what makes it so great. A lot of catchy power chords and rythms. I would say a great success for Goldfinger. You get hooked on each song because of their power that will blow you away. I say it has an excellent sound. // 10

Lyrics: The great thing is that for all of you Goldfinger fans is that John the singer still sings pretty much the same. The lyrics are catchy, so don't listen to some of the other reviews you might read saying there are no catchy lyrics. You'll hear great lyrics on "My Everything" and "Wasted" that stand out from the rest but the rest have a positive of their own. // 10

Overall Impression: Goldfinger - Dissconection Notice. It is a great album with strong music and singing. Go out and buy it and hear for yourself! // 10

Comments