In Our Gun review by Gomez

• Released: Mar 26, 2002
Gomez: In Our Gun

I think that this album has some of the most memorable songs I have ever heard in my life. The rare combination of acoustic guitars, pounding bass beats, and the haunting echo of trumpets, makes this quite an unusual record.

This band has cut the "red tape" of the vocal world, to bring us an astounding collaboration of two very unique vocalists, with completly different styles. The lyrics are pretty much steadily revolving around war and peace/young and old, and are sort of just extra to the actual vocals.

After listining to this album,(all the way through) I feel a good deal of the songs are going to remain personal favorites for quite a while. 01. Shot Shot - this song has probably the most changes in the shortest song time (2:25), but still manages to keep the chorus strong. 02. Rex Kramer - simply put; the "Cultural Salad Song." 03. Detroit Swing 66 - didn't like this song quite as much as the rest. Although I do like the chorus: "I've been thinking one thing but doin' something else in a daze..." 04. In Our Gun - good choice for this album's tittle track. A very memorable song. 05. Even Song - this one is about the flow of life. Another classic to remember. 06. Ruff Stuff - stands out as the cracked out electronica reggae/rock song. There is absolutley nothing like this in the world of music today. Amazing. 07. Sound Of Sounds - starts out kind of lame, but then the bass and chorus comes in and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. 08. Army Dub - possibly my personal favorite of all time. A booming drum beat and a bass riff that's on a mission, it takes the monotony of military life and turns it into a "make you wanna move" dance song. 09. Miles End - takes you into a dreamy landscape of bouncy guitar riffs and catchy vox. 10. Ping One Down - don't particularly stand out for some reason. 11. 1000 Times - don't particularly stand out for some reason. 12. Drench - the middle eastern and jazz tinged war song. 13. The Ballad Of Nice & Easy - I think they could have picked a better ending for such a great record. Found this song somewhat boring. Overall this was an outstanding record with very few flaws musically. A record to remember.