Dizzy Up the Girl review by Goo Goo Dolls

• Released: Sep 22, 1998
Goo Goo Dolls: Dizzy Up the Girl

The Goo Goo Dolls have a very unique and distinctive sound, interestingly enough between songs on their own album not just other band's music. Their use of slide, new and down-tuned guitars create a unique and beautiful guitar signiture which is perfectly off-set by John and Robbie's voices. Their sound is better than a majority of bands ever.

This is where the Goo Goo Dolls, specifically John really shines. While Robbie's voice and lyrics are good and fit withe the style of music in the songs he's written and sing on, it's John that makes this album one of my all time favourites. Taking on subject matter as deep as his father's alcoholism, as taboo as teen-age pregnancy and as cliche as love John creates songs that are anything but cliche and put simply are genius. Providing such brilliant lines as 'The least they ever gave you, is the most you ever knew' (Acoustic #3) and 'See the young man sitting in the old man's bar, waiting for his turn to die' (Broadway), the undoubted lyrical and musical highlight of this song is 'Iris'. Put simply, this is without question, my favourite song of all time. Combine this lyrical brilliance with John's raspy, emotional and simply stunning and amzing voice and you have the perfect partnership.

There's little more I can say about this album except that it's, in my optinion, on of the greatest ever made. From the upbeat 'Slide' and 'All Eyes On Me', to dark 'Bullet Proof', to the genius that is 'Iris' this album doesn't disappoint from start to finish. To be honest, 'Iris' alone makes this album worth buying, the rest of teh album is an amzing extra. I have two copies of this album, just in case I loose or damage one, that's how much I love it.