Dizzy Up the Girl review by Goo Goo Dolls

• Released: Sep 22, 1998
Goo Goo Dolls: Dizzy Up the Girl

Ok, we've all heard "Iris" more times than any sane human can handle, but Iris isn't the only great song on the Buffalo boys' seventh album. Dizzy Up The Girl is a late 90's alternative rock masterpiece. Every song is catchy in its own individual way. It was around the time of this album's release (September 1998) that the Goo Goo Dolls began to really transition from being a ragedy group of long-haired party boys to truly talented, matured musicians. Therefore, this album has just the right blend of rockers and ballads. The music itself is creative too. Guitarist/singer/songwriter Johnny Rzeznik is known for his use of strange alternate tunings (in fact, the band's two biggest hits, Iris and Name, use tunings that Rzeznik invented himself). And the band has expanded, they're still a trio, but violins and other strings are quite abundant on this album as well.

Obviously, Iris is flawless when it comes to lyrics. But you can't beat my personal second favorite, "Black Balloon." Beginning with a somewhat awkward but still catchy harmonic intro, the song then fades into a beautifully strummed open D tuned acoustic riff. This music perfectly compliments the lyrics, which tell the haunting story of a loved one throwing their life away to substances (for the slow, that means drugs), while the narrorator can do nothing but watch. "Coming down the world turned over, and angels fall without you there" is my favorite line of the song. A lesser-known song, the two minute long "Acoustic #3", is another great one. Featuring only Rzeznik, his acoustic, and a few string arrangements, lyrics such as "What's the point in ever trying, nothings changing anyway" are very relatable, and very well performed. Many people aren't a fan of Robby's voice or his songs, but I think they're excellent rock-out tunes. Not quite as emotional as Johnny's, but fun nevertheless, and he keeps the album from being monotoned. "January Friend" would be my favorite by him.

This is one of my all time favorite albums. I bought it two years ago and have yet to get tired of it. If you ever find it for sale in a store, and think to yourself "Hey, I haven't heard that song in a long time!", I'd really recommend it. If lost or stolen, I'd buy it again immediately.

rockhead829
    this album is freakin' awesome. i don't even own it yet, being perpetually broke, but it's one of the most brilliant i've ever heard. oh, and to whoever said that black balloon is about teen pregnancy, that's slide. black balloon is about robby's wife who was a heroin addict.
    Jewok
    Just bought this album again and it's just as amazing as it was before.