Dizzy Up The Girl Review

9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Dizzy Up The Girl Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Sound: The Goo Goo Dolls have a very unique and distinctive sound, interestingly enough between songs on their own album not just other band's music. Their use of slide, new and down-tuned guitars create a unique and beautiful guitar signiture which is perfectly off-set by John and Robbie's voices. Their sound is better than a majority of bands ever. // 10

Lyrics: This is where the Goo Goo Dolls, specifically John really shines. While Robbie's voice and lyrics are good and fit withe the style of music in the songs he's written and sing on, it's John that makes this album one of my all time favourites. Taking on subject matter as deep as his father's alcoholism, as taboo as teen-age pregnancy and as cliche as love John creates songs that are anything but cliche and put simply are genius. Providing such brilliant lines as 'The least they ever gave you, is the most you ever knew' (Acoustic #3) and 'See the young man sitting in the old man's bar, waiting for his turn to die' (Broadway), the undoubted lyrical and musical highlight of this song is 'Iris'. Put simply, this is without question, my favourite song of all time. Combine this lyrical brilliance with John's raspy, emotional and simply stunning and amzing voice and you have the perfect partnership. // 10

Overall Impression: There's little more I can say about this album except that it's, in my optinion, on of the greatest ever made. From the upbeat 'Slide' and 'All Eyes On Me', to dark 'Bullet Proof', to the genius that is 'Iris' this album doesn't disappoint from start to finish. To be honest, 'Iris' alone makes this album worth buying, the rest of teh album is an amzing extra. I have two copies of this album, just in case I loose or damage one, that's how much I love it. // 10

Dizzy Up The Girl Reviewed by: MasterXaero, on june 03, 2004

Sound: Singer/songwriter John Rzeznik doesn't know how to play the standard EADGBE guitar tuning. The result is unique sounding songs that can't be matched by any artist. The intro to Slide, is just one of these examples. John tunes his guitar to whatever sounds cool, and writes a song on it. At the same time, he performs amazing solos in many songs, such as in All Eyes On Me. The Goo Goo Dolls know how to write music. John Rzeznik and Robby Takac are amazing vocalists. John's voice tends to be laid back, but when needed, he hits the high notes. Robby's songs are a little more hardcore than John's, or as hardcore as a Goo Goo Dolls song can be. The mixture of the two makes the album a diverse joy. // 10

Lyrics: The Goo Goo Dolls had been writing the lyrics on this album for the duration of about 8 years. Each song tells a lot about them and their backgrounds. For instance, Broadway, the 3rd song on the album, is straight from Rzeznik's soul. The song mostly about his father, who was an alcholoic who died one night, due in part to his alcholism. Lyrics like: "you choke down all your anger, forget your only son" and "see the young man sitting in the old man's bar waiting for his turn to die" clearly show John's perspective of his father. Additionally, the Goo Goo Dolls tend to take seemingly random topics and turn great songs into them. Examples: Slide is a song about a boyfriend and girlfriend. The girlfriend gets pregnant, and they are trying to decide whether they should get an abortion, get married, etc. Black Balloon is about a kid's heroin addiction and the pain it caused his loved ones. Even if you don't like the genre the Goo Goo Dolls stick to, this album should be purchased just for the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album had five singles - Dizzy, Slide, Black Balloon, Broadway, and Iris, and is without question their most sucessful album, possibly surpassing their latest album, Gutterflower. The best song on the album, from a guitarist's standpoint, is All Eyes on Me. The song starts out in a soft way, but then switches over to distortion to a powerful, indepth chorus with equally moving lyrics. Then, after another chorus, Rzeznik plays a solo of harmonics, drops his pick, and finger picks for a short time, takes pick in hand again and plays the rest of the song. Played live or on the stereo, All Eyes on Me is the best song on the album. If stolen or lost, I would run out and buy it again, and then kick the s-- out of whoever stole this work of art. // 10

Dizzy Up The Girl Reviewed by: that_a_guitar??, on december 03, 2003

Sound: This is one of my favourite albums of all time it has a great soft rock sound to it (and even a riff the sounds like green day's basketcase) its has sum amazing songs like black balloon and most notably iris which everyone knows the goo goo dolls by. Also some amazing songs on it like acoustic number 3 slide and broadway the only bad thing is four songs on it that the basist sings and they're alot heavier but they are not that good at all. I rate the music type on this a big fat 5. // 10

Lyrics: There are some amazing lyrics on this album in iris acoustic no.3 and eyes on me also broadway and black balloon have sum deep lyrics I give this a 5 also :-) // 10

Overall Impression: This album is beyon compare to most soft rock bands it is phenomenal in my eyes the only thing as I mentioned is just the four songs sung by the basist doesnt really go with the rest of the album still if it was lost or stolen I'd buy it again. It is definitely worth buying if you like thew song Iris never come across ANYONE who doesn't like it buy this album you'll be amazed at wat this band could do overall another 55555. // 10

Dizzy Up The Girl Reviewed by: starbomb13, on september 13, 2004

Sound: The Goo Goo dolls' sound is the type of music that can make it on the easy listening radio stations but they do have a rock edge to them. But when I say rock edge I don't necessarily mean that pantera fans are gonna like their sound. Nonetheless I found it enjoyable to listen to especially when doing homework. // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are all about love and women. John doesn't sing about girls like "come dance with me then we'll go up to my hotel room". He's more of a real sensitive guy with sentimental feelings so it's more like "I love you, and will forever". I personally like John's voice it's kinda raspy and deep, and kinda works well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: It's an allright album I enjoyed most of the songs throughout the album. I love that it's not really a depressing album (though I do have many of those "my life sucks, this world sucks" albums.) It's probably the album your mom would like too. "Iris" would obviously be my fave song from the album. If this were stolen I wouldn't really worry because I borrowed the album, but, I am considering buying the album. // 8

Dizzy Up The Girl Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2005

Sound: I have a very large CD collection, ranging from new bands like Breaking Benjamin, to the classics like Hendrix, Clapton and Zepplin, yet non of the bands in my collection sound like the Goo Goo Dolls. Their unique sound comes from their blend of obscure guitar tunings (John uses many different tunings and rarely uses standard tuning, especially on this album), John's great voice and Robby's driving, throaty voice. They blend all this into uptempo mellodic rock while also using it to great effect on slower songs. There's a great mix of sounds on this album, from the melodic 'Acoustic #3', to the uptempo driving 'Bullet Proof', to the fun and fast 'Slide' and least we forget, the simply magnificent 'Iris'. While I'm not the biggest fan of the songs on which Robby sings, they all add to the blend n mix of the album and I can appreciate their value to the album and their quality. On the whole this album, and of course this band, have a unique sound which is driven by emotion and experience, they are very open to their listeners, I like that about them. // 9

Lyrics: While they have a brilliant sound, it is in their lyrics, specifically John Rzeznik's, where this album and band truely excel. John writes from experience, from observation and most importantly, from the heart. As a lyricist myself I always listen to the lyrics on albums and there are plenty of songs on this album that everytime I hear them I think 'I wish I'd written that song!' John deals with a range of subject matter, 'Slide' is about love and passion and wanting to just run away with someone and be only the two of you, something that most people can relate to. 'Broadway' is about his Father's alcoholism, 'Acousic #3' is about is about feeling small, alone and trapped, again something that everyone feels at some point in there life (this song also contains my personal favourite line: 'The least they ever gave you, is the most you ever knew'). 'Black Balloon' is about teenage-pregnancy and 'All Eyes On Me' is about pressure and expectation. So as you can see, John deals with everything, even things that most people refuse to acknowlege, put simply he is a Genius, a magnificent lyricist who deserves a huge amount of credit for his heart-felt song writing. Of course all of this cannot be said without mentioning the song, which in my opinion, is the greatest of all time 'Iris'. It's hard to describe this song, it's pure genius, it's moving and the lyrics are simply magic, straight from the soul. The song is about love and John has somehow managed to find the words that perfectly explain to be love and to have loss. When I'm lost or feel overwhelmed or just simply can't find the right words. I listen to this song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of, if not, the greatest album ever made and is probably my all-time favourite. It shows a great passion for music and is a truely inpirational and moving music masterpiece! It is their best album to date, although their albums before and since are of a very high stndard too, this album is just too good to compare them to! 'Iris' is, as I've said, the greatest song ever written and alone makes the album a classic, but when combined with the other great songs on this album, really pushes it into the upper reaches of music genius. I love this album, don't even think about taking it away from me! But if someone did, I'd replace it on that very day! This is a must for fans of all music, a creation of pure musical brilliance! // 10

Dizzy Up The Girl Reviewed by: Powerhouse, on april 25, 2007

Sound: Ok, we've all heard "Iris" more times than any sane human can handle, but Iris isn't the only great song on the Buffalo boys' seventh album. Dizzy Up The Girl is a late 90's alternative rock masterpiece. Every song is catchy in its own individual way. It was around the time of this album's release (September 1998) that the Goo Goo Dolls began to really transition from being a ragedy group of long-haired party boys to truly talented, matured musicians. Therefore, this album has just the right blend of rockers and ballads. The music itself is creative too. Guitarist/singer/songwriter Johnny Rzeznik is known for his use of strange alternate tunings (in fact, the band's two biggest hits, Iris and Name, use tunings that Rzeznik invented himself). And the band has expanded, they're still a trio, but violins and other strings are quite abundant on this album as well. // 10

Lyrics: Obviously, Iris is flawless when it comes to lyrics. But you can't beat my personal second favorite, "Black Balloon." Beginning with a somewhat awkward but still catchy harmonic intro, the song then fades into a beautifully strummed open D tuned acoustic riff. This music perfectly compliments the lyrics, which tell the haunting story of a loved one throwing their life away to substances (for the slow, that means drugs), while the narrorator can do nothing but watch. "Coming down the world turned over, and angels fall without you there" is my favorite line of the song. A lesser-known song, the two minute long "Acoustic #3", is another great one. Featuring only Rzeznik, his acoustic, and a few string arrangements, lyrics such as "What's the point in ever trying, nothings changing anyway" are very relatable, and very well performed. Many people aren't a fan of Robby's voice or his songs, but I think they're excellent rock-out tunes. Not quite as emotional as Johnny's, but fun nevertheless, and he keeps the album from being monotoned. "January Friend" would be my favorite by him. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my all time favorite albums. I bought it two years ago and have yet to get tired of it. If you ever find it for sale in a store, and think to yourself "Hey, I haven't heard that song in a long time!", I'd really recommend it. If lost or stolen, I'd buy it again immediately. // 10

Comments