Let Love In review by Goo Goo Dolls

• Released: Apr 25, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Goo Goo Dolls: Let Love In

The Goo Goo Dolls have been one of my favorite bands for quite a long time, and unlike the typical one-or-the-other fan who says "The Goo Goo Dolls sold out when they wrote 'Name'," I happen to like all their music whether Jed or Gutterflower. I had been anxiously waiting for an entire album of new Goo Goo material for over four years when I bought this album, and I regret to say this, but it was a bit of a disappointment. After a four year wait, this album sounds like a sequal to "Gutterflower," but even more polished (and we can partially thank Glen Ballard for that). It seems to me like Johnny Rzeznik and company only put out this album because they felt like they had to, or were anxious to get back on the road and have some extra spending money. it's a good listen, don't get me wrong, but it's too generic, predictable, cliche' and unauthentic.

When "Iris" first started playing on the radio, you could really feel the emotion in Johnny's voice, and you felt (or at least I did) like he truly meant what he was singing. This isn't the case on "Let Love In." His lyrics sound like he was in a hurry to write them, and a few of the songs feature Ballard as a co-writer (not to mention that he uses the word "feel" way too much). Vocally, Johnny is still as good as ever, and so is Robby. Speaking of which, if the Goo Goo Dolls put out another album, it may be a safe bet to say that Robby probably won't make any vocal appearances on the album at all. Robby's voice led nearly half the songs on "Dizzy" and "Boy Named Goo," only four on "Gutterflower," and only two here. And while his songs used to show The Goo's punk and edgey hard rock side, these two songs both sound like they'd work no differently if they were performed by Johnny.

I like the title track, "Feel The Silence," and "Without You Here," as well as "Better Days" and "Give a Little Bit" (two songs I had already heard prior to this album's release). But after a four year wait, nine new songs that sound like they were lost during the Gutterflower recording sessions and found a few years later just don't cut it for me. This isn't a bad album, but it is a dissapointing one.

rocknrolldogs
    All of the fromer Goo's Cds have had at least one great song(dizzy up the girl had alot). The best song is Let love in but it's got a slow start and lame lyrics. The goo better not got out on this number. I hope they have one more Iris,slide,name,I'm still here(which never made it way to one of their CD.)Why goo? Why..?
    Nonesta13
    i love the song 'let love in' it sounded cheezy at first cuz i only listen to the first second then skipped to the next song until i heard like the 4th second then i fell in love with it