Let Love In Review

Goo Goo Dolls: Let Love In
Release Date: Apr 25, 2006
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Hard Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Better days are here again as one of America's favorite rock bands, The Goo Goo Dolls, returns with its first studio album since 2002.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.8
 8.6
Let Love In Reviewed by: feetyouwell, on april 22, 2006

Sound: It is an amazing sounding soft rock CD. It is definitely better than "Gutterflower." The songs are very easy to listen to, the ggd has followed their traditional simple riff, however, catching sounding. Good songs on the album includes "Stay With You," "Let Love In," "Better Days," "With You Here." Even the one sang by Robby ("Listen") is worth listening, although I am still just not impressed with his voice. I would share this CD with anyone. Highly, highly recommended. // 10

Lyrics: Nothing to distinct about the lyrics from their rest collections. I like them, that's all I can say. I don't do extra digging into the lyrics, unless they are extremely bad. // 10

Overall Impression: By listening to the album once, the overall impression is that there is no obivious "trashy" songs there, however the downside of that is there is really not one song that make you just want to go back and listen to it over and over and over again, instead, you would want to listen to the whole album over and over and over again. As mentioned before, the album is better than "Gutterflower," but not as perfect as "Dizzy Up The Girl" yet, they are very close though, very close. It's no doubt I would go buy a new copy if the CD is stolen/lost. If you're a goo goo fan, this is a must-have-CD, that's no question about it. // 10

Let Love In Reviewed by: gooapo, on may 04, 2006

Sound: I'm a big fan of Goo no matter what the hell! although they were not the band that introduced me to rock (Puddle Of Mudd was), I've been a very big fan. They're my fave band! They have always been under-rated and that pisses me off. Hold Me Up (3rd album) is such a good album, and nobody gives a damn about it! Dizzy is a good album but I don't think it's their best! I mean somebody has to stand up and say that Dizzy is not the best of Goo. Boy Named Goo kicks Dizzy butt. Gutterflower ties with Dizzy. But hello. Let Love In ties with Boy Named Goo, Hold Me Up, and with Jed (these four early albums are considered punk classic) now. Let Love In is not punk. It is a re-newed Dizzy. A new sound. It is better than Dizzy (I'm sorry if I have offended the Dizzy fans). Tracks like Let Love In, Can't Let Go, Become, and others. They are so good! They leave a smile on your face. Let Love In will let you dream of a world beyound. 'Can't Let Go' is one of the best Goo songs ever made. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of John haven't improved because it just can't. John hit the counterpoint, lyrically, on Dizzy and Gutterflower, even the earlier albums have good lyrics. In 'Better Days', John somewhat talks about Jesus Christ sining "And the one poor child who saved the world" that obviously is a very good statment, but thank God he is a liberal Christian. Anyways the album has excellent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Now, some people say that the Goos changed their music direction in Boy Named Goo and all the albums after that. Goos didn't changed a bit. They have always stayed the same, y'all are stubborn assholes. The band never changed their sound, in fact they became better! And some aid the same things about Metallica's St. Anger! These guys never changed their sound. Just better. This album rules! If somebody stole, they better pray to god that i don't find them. Get this CD even if you are an old Goo fan, new fan, tired-of-them fan, or if you're not a fan after all, you will all like this album! // 10

Let Love In Reviewed by: JAGuitar, on june 26, 2006

Sound: Pretty Good Music. "Let Love in" has a great intro, that I'm still not sure how they make(as an acoustic player, I dont know too much electric enhancements). "Strange Love", although not with the greatest singing, also has a great intro. The tunes for this almbum are all great. My particular favorite is the very upbeat "Can't Let It Go" track 8. And all in all, excellent music. // 10

Lyrics: The songs definitely live up to the title, this album definitely focuses on love, and so in a superb fashion. Again, track numbr 8 "I was your anger, and you were fear..." Amazing. From "Stay With You" to "Become" I am thoroughly impressed with the lyrics of "Let Love In." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great album. There is no question that this baby is going up on my shelf right next to "Dizzy Up The Girl" Although it feels short, this baby is packed with Goo'ey greatness. I have not stopped listening to this since I bought it, and honestly don't see myself stopping at least until I can play every song by heart. // 10

Let Love In Reviewed by: Powerhouse, on february 12, 2007

Sound: The Goo Goo Dolls have been one of my favorite bands for quite a long time, and unlike the typical one-or-the-other fan who says "The Goo Goo Dolls sold out when they wrote 'Name'," I happen to like all their music whether Jed or Gutterflower. I had been anxiously waiting for an entire album of new Goo Goo material for over four years when I bought this album, and I regret to say this, but it was a bit of a disappointment. After a four year wait, this album sounds like a sequal to "Gutterflower," but even more polished (and we can partially thank Glen Ballard for that). It seems to me like Johnny Rzeznik and company only put out this album because they felt like they had to, or were anxious to get back on the road and have some extra spending money. it's a good listen, don't get me wrong, but it's too generic, predictable, cliche' and unauthentic. // 6

Lyrics: When "Iris" first started playing on the radio, you could really feel the emotion in Johnny's voice, and you felt (or at least I did) like he truly meant what he was singing. This isn't the case on "Let Love In." His lyrics sound like he was in a hurry to write them, and a few of the songs feature Ballard as a co-writer (not to mention that he uses the word "feel" way too much). Vocally, Johnny is still as good as ever, and so is Robby. Speaking of which, if the Goo Goo Dolls put out another album, it may be a safe bet to say that Robby probably won't make any vocal appearances on the album at all. Robby's voice led nearly half the songs on "Dizzy" and "Boy Named Goo," only four on "Gutterflower," and only two here. And while his songs used to show The Goo's punk and edgey hard rock side, these two songs both sound like they'd work no differently if they were performed by Johnny. // 7

Overall Impression: I like the title track, "Feel The Silence," and "Without You Here," as well as "Better Days" and "Give a Little Bit" (two songs I had already heard prior to this album's release). But after a four year wait, nine new songs that sound like they were lost during the Gutterflower recording sessions and found a few years later just don't cut it for me. This isn't a bad album, but it is a dissapointing one. // 6

Let Love In Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2008

Sound: I have been a die hard fan of this band since the release of Dizzy Up The Girl and then delved back right into their early work (which I am also a big fan of). One thing I seemed to love above all else about this band was the fact that John seemed to put so much effort into his songs and making even overlookable verse lines carry so much depth. Dizzy Up The Girl is among the top 5 softrock albums of the 90's (and is my personal favourite) which was followed up by Gutterflower, which fell slightly short of Dizzy and could be criticized for being a compilation of predictable love songs but did it so well that it grabbed 4 stars from Rolling Stone. Both these albums generated strong hits of songs that were definingly 'goo goo dolls'. This latest installment, however, has seen the band go further from it's melodic-punk rock roots (which then turned to melodic soft rock) to what seems like Rzeznik's attempt to write an alternative rock CD. Instant appeal and catchy melodies are the staple the success of this band and here they seem to be jeticened for the sake of not producing the same album again. It really seems that Rzeznik has gone out of his comfort zone of writing memorable ballads and power pop choruses to write something that is not him and falls remarkably short of even their early work, Hold Me Up and Superstar Carwash. Better Days hold almost no difference to their prior material and all fans will likely enjoy this track. Stay With You is another song which actually does hold the balance between melodic and alternative rock well and is a strong opener, which is followed by Let Love In, another song likely to entice old fans. It was after this second track where I seemed to find myself only enjoying parts of songs only to find a dry verse or chorus on the other end of what I was enjoying. This was my biggest personal problem with this album: that I really enjoyed the verses of tracks like We'll Be Here and Become but found the choruses really dry and dull - a problem never really encountered before after hearing albums full of songs which power from start to finish // 6

Lyrics: John Rzeznik's Lyrics have always captivated me and been one of the strongest elements of their music. While there are moments of gold in places, they fall far below the par that Rzeznik is renoun for. Better Days is a great song, start to finish, but most of the other songs seemed to be written with much less emotion and scope than Dizzy Up The Girl and Gutterflower. There really are moments of gold here like "The ones who frightened I are the truth inside the lie." about the the industrialisation of Rzeznik's home town of Buffalo and "You remain a promise unfulfilled until today" but the majority of the songs feel like they were written in a rush on the bus ride to the recording studio. None the less we still see some of the emotional depth and lyricism which has put Rzeznik on the map as a great songwriter. // 7

Overall Impression: The decision to make an album this is most likely because the band feels the need to reinvent themselves, not just because they'd just be rehashing if they didn't, but because the band members are aging and Rzeznik's good looks to enchant the younger fanbase are finally starting to fade so they are going for a more adult audience, also to fit the profile of an older, mature band. While I understand the move they've taken, and even agree with it, a four year wait has led to an album which seemed to be lacking in depth thought required for such a change. It just scrapes a 7 for me and I can't wait to see what the next album has to offer. // 7

Comments