Superstar Car Wash review by Goo Goo Dolls

• Released: Jan 1, 1993
Goo Goo Dolls: Superstar Car Wash

This is what the Goo Goo Dolls sounded way back before they were well-known (1993 to be specific) and before they had a guy named Mike on the drums. And it's different. For me it seems strange that this wasn't the album that pushed them into the mainstream (it took 1995's A Boy Named Goo to do that). The album is full of musical gems, but with a more punky edge than any of their recent work. You can tell from the moment that you listen to the opener "Fallin' Down", it's certainly the Goo Goo Dolls but they sound younger and rougher, and this is no bad thing.

The band may still be young, but it's clear that Johnny Rzeznik has a talent with words. The lyrics aren't over done, they just sound great with the type of music the Goos were creating at this time. Probably the best track lyrically and musically is track 7, We Are The Normal, it has a great summer feel to it. Whilst the music was writen by the band, the lyrics were penned by The Replacements front man, Paul Westerberg. Throughout their career the Goos have often stated that the Replacements were a huge influence on their music, and the collaboration is brilliant.

This is the type of album that grows on you with every listen and if you can put the Goos most recent releases to the back of your mind and approach it with an open mind then you will find a really great album that has simply been eclipsed by its followers successes. If you're looking for another Iris or Name, then you will be dissapointed, for this is was an album made when John, Robby and co were younger, less experienced, and some would say better.

inlovewithmusic
    I LOOOOOVE THE GOOs YUP..John is an amazin song writer ....but i think they sound better they way they do now than back then
    bigpig83
    I agree with the guy above and with the review. This was a great album showcasing the Goos from back when they were still punky. While Ive never liked punk music that much, I still love the stuff they were doing. Most of the punk bands nowadays seem like the Goos back then but with all this emo vibe painted all over them *coughMCRcough*. I like bands like Radiohead and Tool but ive always had a soft spot for the Goo Goo Dolls. They were so much better than the pop rock bands you hear nowadays *coughNicklebackscrapcoug h*.
    breadfan82
    I have this album. It's a pretty solid album for being pop-rock. Rzeznik is a good songwriter and the whole album is full of great hooks, as stated above.
    al silver
    to bigpig83, Nickelback at one point WAS good, not so much anymore, but yeah. They were at one point, remember that!