Good Charlotte review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Sep 26, 2000
Good Charlotte: Good Charlotte

The Young and the Hopeless is GC's 2nd album, and in my opinion was their best album made. GC definately found what style of music suits them with this CD. The reach a new kind of modern/punk rock. This CD will get you excited from the first track. It begins with "A New Beginning," which is a pure instrumental which starts of sound with sound sound effects and then blasts off with an up tempo beat of straight out guitar chords. It definately was a pretty good way to start off the album. Then it goes into personally my favorite song on the album, "The Anthem." This song features one of the few guitar solos you will actually hear GC play. It's very up-beat and will definately get you jumping. It then goes into another hit, "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," another great up-beat song with some nice drumming. The next song is "Wondering," which is good. It then goes into probably the fast song on the album, "The Story of my Old Man," which relates directly to Joel Madden and Benji Madden's choldhood. The next song is more of a kids hit with "Boys and Girls." Then you have a classic love murder sotry with "My Bloody Valentine." "Hold On" is a very strong song. So is Riot Girl. My one knock on the album is "Say Anything." I really never got this song. The next song is sang by Benji. Then it goes into the title of the album, "The Young and the Hopeless," which was probably their biggest hit. The album then concludes with a song that fits the last track, "Movin' On."

The lyrics on this album mix around from life lessons to past experiences experienced by Benji and Joel. "The Anthem" refers to some high school experiences by Benji and Joel and some college experieces. "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" is a true song that basically says how all these rich and famous stars always find something to complain about. "Wondering" is actually written about their dog, Cashdog. "The Story of my Old Man" was written about Benji and Joel's dad, who left them as kids. "Boys and Girls" tries to explain boys personalities and girl personalities, but really this song would appeal to more of a kid population. "My Bloody Valentine" tells a story of a love murder. "Hold On" deals with suicide and telling kids to go find help and to Hold On. "Riot Girl" talks about your rebal teenage girl. "Say Anything" really just doesn't fit the album. "The Day That I Die" is self-explainitory, as is "The Young and Hopeless." "Emotionaless" talks about Benji and Joel's dad and is a pertty emotional song. "Movin' On" is self explainitory.

Compared to GC's first album, this is a big improvement. This made them a very familar name in the music business. The best songs are definately "The Anthem," "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," and "The Young and Hopeless." I love the sound of this album, but really don't like some of the pointless song lyrics, like in "Wondering, Boys and Girls, and Say Anything." I would efinately buy this album again though because it is a great album.

Mainer
    I like GC's older stuff such a this and Young and The Hopeless. But Good Morning Revival was awful. Cardiology seems like it'll be good though
    alexw1020
    MusicMan666 wrote: good charlotte is awful.....listen to dream theater
    Is it bad that I have GC and Dream Theater on the same iPod playlist?