Good Morning Revival review by Good Charlotte

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 27, 2007
  • Sound: 6
  • Lyrics: 5
  • Overall Impression: 5
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
  • Users' score: 6.4 (159 votes)
Good Charlotte: Good Morning Revival
0

Sound — 6
The fourth album from Maryland foursome and a long-awaited follow to their 2004 The Chronicles Of Life And Death, Good Morning Revival is finally out March 27 on Epic/Daylight. The album features a new band member -- former Morrisey drummer Dean Butterworth and the return to the band's old producer, who worked on their breakthrough record, Don Gilmore (Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne). While the first fact doesn't really say anything, by hearing the second one you pretty much know what to expect from the record. The first single of this album Keep Your Hands Off My Girl that the band released through Internet turned out to be a very infectious song that set high expectations for the future album. Frontman Joel Madden wrote it aiming to have a song he could hear in the clubs and it's the only one of it's kind on the record. The rest of the record is a bit different and not always as good. The band admits on the new album they went more melodic and upbeat, which at times turns out to be more pop. Like sensitive ballad Where Would We Be Now which is influenced by a break-up with Hilary Duff. It features a romantic piano and it is actually the first song by Good Charlotte written for the instrument. There are a few danceable and strong tracks (like The River recorded in collaboration with M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold & Synyster Gates), at the same time Good Morning Revival shines with ridiculous ideas. The album is full of sing-along choruses, carrying cheesy pop tune that spoils the impression. Bells and horns in the chorus of Broken Hearts Parade that remind of some Disney cartoon song. Victims Of Love sounds too much like a Russian band t.A.T.u. Guys, do you honestly listen to fake lesbians or it's just the production? The first part of the album has a lot of electronic flourishes that diverse the music. At the same time it's more mature, revealing you the Green Day side of the band. The closer it gets to the end, the more you want to push stop bottom. The culmination is at the last track March On -- an example of how bad a punk-pop band can get, with all the necessary attributes -- cheap strings, primitive back vocals and weak falsetto.

Lyrics — 5
I guess most of the album's poetry was influenced by Hilary Duff. And I wish it wasn't. Sometimes it's sentimental as a cheap movie about love. March On tends to be tearful, but falls on the face with And I remember winters were so cold/Hunger was the only thing we know/ And rock'n'roll dreamin' was what saved us sounding unbearably false. Besides it doesn't rhythm. The lyrics sometimes are so poor that you want to believe Good Charlotte are just to making fun of themselves. But they are not. Singing about I've got brass knuckles hanging from my neck and my chain in Keep Your Hand Off My Girl they do think people will repeat the words, dancing to the song in da club. Not all the album is that bad though, and you can find a couple quite serious lines in the verses. Joel Madden is merely carrying the duty of being a vocalist without any enthusiasm about it. He sings the notes and even screams where it's necessary, but the emotions and variety are at a very mediocre level.

Overall Impression — 5
It's obvious Joel Madden has matured a songwriter -- not only he can write better songs like Misery, he also learned to write commercial and tacky tracks like Broken Hearts Parade that provide 80% of the album sales. Aiming to sound popular, Good Charlotte often end up sounding like a travesty to themselves. Take away that pop ingredient, and it would be a fairly good album. But it wouldn't sell that well. I believe Good Charlotte can make interesting and solid records, but it's the commercial part of the project that makes the critics shiver with disgust again and again.

70 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Aidy Damage
    In my opinion it's a great album, and Broken Hearts Parade reminds me of The Ramones when they were experimenting with electronics. I liked it!
    schecterXxX
    Ok i'll have to admit... i did like G.C.'s first album but after that each album became progressively more pop mainstream. I couldn't agree more that all of the synth and other background effects take away from the song instead of adding to it. Their new album is a disappointment. Hopefully they realize that their selling out.
    piratelanding21
    I really wanted to like this album cause I liked their first album (when I was a freshman in HS) and I like to relive some of those old fun pop punk sounds I listened to back in the day, but to be honest this album blew. I'm totaly digging the album cover but not the music in any way.
    Gamoc
    I stopped reading this review as soon as it said 'Keep your Hands off my Girl' was a good song. It was a TERRIBLE song! The best part was when it had finished, and something else came on. I lost respect for GC when I heard that song.
    theduke92
    Toxin Tonix wrote: theduke92 wrote: rubysoho8779 wrote: redSG wrote: Wow where did all the Good Charlotte people come from? UG used to be overflowing with GC haters. Including myself yeah and it's about damn time y'all showed up! i'm tired of being on here all by myself against you guys, and by guys i mean that...guys. boys. male species. girls love GC, and some guys love them too, so get over it. get used to it, we're not going away. it's about time this place become more diverse, and not just full of classic rock and metal loving boys. I dont see how gender came into that at all. That was way off topic. And if you think UG isnt diverse, you probably only go in the pit. However, youre right, there are alot of GC haters on the website. Thats because Good Charlotte puts zero effort into musicianship. The strings on these albums are very basic. There is nothing wrong with basic. especially when it fits the song, but they dont have ANY guitar solos, or cool parts to say "Oh, we have the licks, we just dont use them often." The drum parts in all their albums are the same types of parts I was learning in the first week I had my drumset, with a small number of exceptions. Almost everyone on this website appreciates good playing. In fact, most expect it. Apparently, you don't. or you would not like Good Charlotte. Oh, and "get used to it, were not going away" was pretty weak. don't you know that it's cool and tough to hate Good Charlotte? if you're a Metalist you MUST hate them you know? all the haters sux, they hate them just because "everybody" does.. and yes, They acually have solos at some song, and nobody set a rule that in every punk-pop song should be a solo.. and guys, stop beeing opinionated, check out the album and don't listen to other's opinions!
    First: Why are you claiming I hate them because everyone else does? I definitely just wrote a paragraph about why I dislike them. I explained in detail why I cant stand to listen to them. Try actually countering my arguements next time, instead of just reusing the ones I already shot down. Second: Who said I was a "metalist"? I do listen to metal, but I have an equal love for jazz, blues, classic rock, and punk, asshat. In fact, I enjoy listening to some of GC's peers every once and awhile. Third: "all the haters sux" ..For your own sake, put some effort into your writing. Fourth: You are right in caling me out for the solos, I forgot they had them. However, these solos were not impressive and if anything took away from the song. Fifth: Who the hell do you think you are, telling people not to be opinionated, and claiming theyre just jumping on the bandwagon? Can you not handle that people dislike Good Charlotte? I have no problem with people liking them. I stated my opinion, after someone stated theirs. Everyone on here who has presented a real opinion has listened to Good Charlotte, and decided if they did or did not like them. You have no reason to think otherwise.
    Toxin Tonix
    theduke92 wrote: Toxin Tonix wrote: theduke92 wrote: rubysoho8779 wrote: redSG wrote: Wow where did all the Good Charlotte people come from? UG used to be overflowing with GC haters. Including myself yeah and it's about damn time y'all showed up! i'm tired of being on here all by myself against you guys, and by guys i mean that...guys. boys. male species. girls love GC, and some guys love them too, so get over it. get used to it, we're not going away. it's about time this place become more diverse, and not just full of classic rock and metal loving boys. I dont see how gender came into that at all. That was way off topic. And if you think UG isnt diverse, you probably only go in the pit. However, youre right, there are alot of GC haters on the website. Thats because Good Charlotte puts zero effort into musicianship. The strings on these albums are very basic. There is nothing wrong with basic. especially when it fits the song, but they dont have ANY guitar solos, or cool parts to say "Oh, we have the licks, we just dont use them often." The drum parts in all their albums are the same types of parts I was learning in the first week I had my drumset, with a small number of exceptions. Almost everyone on this website appreciates good playing. In fact, most expect it. Apparently, you don't. or you would not like Good Charlotte. Oh, and "get used to it, were not going away" was pretty weak. don't you know that it's cool and tough to hate Good Charlotte? if you're a Metalist you MUST hate them you know? all the haters sux, they hate them just because "everybody" does.. and yes, They acually have solos at some song, and nobody set a rule that in every punk-pop song should be a solo.. and guys, stop beeing opinionated, check out the album and don't listen to other's opinions! First: Why are you claiming I hate them because everyone else does? I definitely just wrote a paragraph about why I dislike them. I explained in detail why I cant stand to listen to them. Try actually countering my arguements next time, instead of just reusing the ones I already shot down. Second: Who said I was a "metalist"? I do listen to metal, but I have an equal love for jazz, blues, classic rock, and punk, asshat. In fact, I enjoy listening to some of GC's peers every once and awhile. Third: "all the haters sux" ..For your own sake, put some effort into your writing. Fourth: You are right in caling me out for the solos, I forgot they had them. However, these solos were not impressive and if anything took away from the song. Fifth: Who the hell do you think you are, telling people not to be opinionated, and claiming theyre just jumping on the bandwagon? Can you not handle that people dislike Good Charlotte? I have no problem with people liking them. I stated my opinion, after someone stated theirs. Everyone on here who has presented a real opinion has listened to Good Charlotte, and decided if they did or did not like them. You have no reason to think otherwise.
    lol dude, i have'nt wrote to you, i wrote in generaly.. i know a lot of GC haters, and everybody hate them just because its fun and everybody does it.. and i was cynical dude, don't take it too serious!
    theduke92
    Toxin Tonix wrote: lol dude, i have'nt wrote to you, i wrote in generaly.. i know a lot of GC haters, and everybody hate them just because its fun and everybody does it.. and i was cynical dude, don't take it too serious!
    If you werent writing to me, then you shouldnt have quoted me. If you were trying to say that alot of people hate GC because "its fun", then you shouldnt have quoted me, since I gave reasons to support my opinion. Oh, and.. cynical adjective 1. like or characteristic of a cynic; distrusting or disparaging the motives of others. 2. showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, esp. by actions that exploit the scruples of others. 3. bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic.
    Sirk1894
    can i find a better song than The River on the album? i think thats the only really good song..is it
    FedEx8
    To the people about the a7x stuff being in "The River" GC are really good friends with a7x and asked them to be featured in it. and they WANTED to, music is music, and Syn and M Shadows i doubt are all 100% heavy people. And i'm happy with GC their old stuff was good and this seems good so far, i didn't really like Chronicles though. My opinion though. Happy for them.
    brewerae
    I LOVE THE ALBUM!!!! I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Mabey you must don't like that kind of music. That's fine, but don't go around telling people GC sux, that's just your oppinion. Obviously there are people out there that support GC. So obviously GC has fans or they wouldn't be selling albums and merchandice like they are. I don't like some bands but I don't go around saying they can't sing or don't have musical talent. It's all just your oppinion. And my oppinion is that this album rocks!!!
    DrunkenClam
    People have such low standards today, like "well, if it sounds good, i like it". I think that's bullshit.
    I don't believe in that. I think it's important to listen to everything. Listen to as much music as you can. Why do you want to limit yourself? If it sounds good, LISTEN TO IT! Who cares if it's "fake." I listen to Neutral Milk Hotel and Beyonce. Yes..Beyonce...because I think her music sounds good.
    Codeman26
    This album was great i love the unique sound and Good Charlotte has been awesome the whole time they've been playing
    travman_401
    Yeah listen to everything. Sweet vocals of justin timberlake, some busta hip hop! And oh yeah listen to as much teen pop as you can it rocks so hard!...
    PMAC01
    Okay.... how about putting it all in a little more context. GC is a mediocre band that to some people sounds good. That's fine. Everyone has an opinion. But, I think we should all agree that this band's musical talent is sophmoric at best. It is more of a begginers band, if you will. Something that people with little or no musical background or maybe listening energy turn on to learn their first easy punk song or feel a beat. If it isn't for the melody then it's for the beat. When your musical palette becomes more mature after listening to many types of music, I'm sure most of us would not MAKE these kind of songs. Let's just drop the emotions, and let the younger people have their easy songs. File it under easy listening rock or punk.... or whatever. P.S. - I hope "pop" does not stand for "popular".... To me it sounds like these bands are temporary or disposable. Like at any moment the bubble of their so called popularity could in fact POP!
    billyof bodom71
    good charlotte is tainted, especially because of that one song that goes i just wanna live, and as far as im concerned avenged 7x hasnt been good since before city of evil. very disapointed
    Emma_Loves_Cops
    This album is ok... i thought it was gonna be better though... i still think The Young and The Hopless & The Chronicles of Life And Death are still their best albums. All in all this album is not bad
    metalbassist12
    the best thing on the album ..... would be the guest appearences of M. Shadows and Synyster Gates ..... and why they would sink so low as to play with Good Charlotte beats me ..... what in God's great name is the world coming to?
    AzOnez
    Album is great! I like it! But what's weird is that it def sounds like i've heard some of these melodies before on other artists albums. Two examples are "March On" and "Victims of Love" March On's melody reminds me of the Killers "All These Things I've Done" and "Victims of Love's" melody is definitlty the same as t.A.T.u's "Not Gonna Get Us" Besides that, I actually like the album.
    RaWk!!
    man i just heard there new song the river it ****in sucks all u guys need to listen to good stuff like the used and mcr and that stuff!!
    I_Collect_Picks
    I quite like Good Charlotte...they're a laid back sorta easy listening band that're good to listen to every once in a while, by no means do I LOVE them, I have the first two albums, cant stand Boys and Girls but most of the songs are quite good. I also listen to Tool, Nirvana, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Incubus, MCR, Panic! at the Disco, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, Blindspott, Xasthur and MANY MANY MANY MANY more... I may just pick up this when I've got a spare 20 bucks...maybe..I wanna get the new Audioslave CD first.
    bradyo
    this record is great i just dont see why people slag gc off so much who gives a **** if u hate them? they say they are pop trying to be punk yet noone gets n to mcfly trying to be rock.
    Toxin Tonix
    punklives4ever wrote: I love Good Charlotte. I was thinking, why not buy there new album, give them a chance before I stop listening to the band. Honestly, I liked "The Chronicles of LAD" but it took SOO much away from the band that was seen in previous records. 4 Maryland boys let hollywood get the best of them. I'll wait another 2-3 years if the next album will be more punk, and less pop. They're a PUNK band. That's what their fans want. Not many preppy people would listen to GC just because of a new poppy sound. If Britney Spears changed her sound I still wouldn't listen to her. Be original. Stay true to yourself. But with that originality, make sure you don't lose the very flame inside that got you started. In other words.... don't sell out.
    They are not PUNK band, they even don't listen to punk music, they kind of simply Rock-Pop-Emo Band, now they are kind of The Killers style.. and it doesn't realy matter.. They are making good music, they are amazing persons and know how to make fun for themself and for other people
    punklives4ever
    I love Good Charlotte. I was thinking, why not buy there new album, give them a chance before I stop listening to the band. Honestly, I liked "The Chronicles of LAD" but it took SOO much away from the band that was seen in previous records. 4 Maryland boys let hollywood get the best of them. I'll wait another 2-3 years if the next album will be more punk, and less pop. They're a PUNK band. That's what their fans want. Not many preppy people would listen to GC just because of a new poppy sound. If Britney Spears changed her sound I still wouldn't listen to her. Be original. Stay true to yourself. But with that originality, make sure you don't lose the very flame inside that got you started. In other words.... don't sell out.
    nuddynutz
    Yeah maybe they did put pop element in, but haven't they been dong for a while, take back to the young and the hopeless wasn't that their first real big success with the media? After that record didn't they start playing down the post punk, emo field to attract a bigger market. If you take from where they were to where they are now they have changed their style completely, most bands goes through a progression and most bands bring out relatively different music compared to the other records for it but you can still find the essence of where they came from. With Good Charlotte they have completely changed their style to suit the purpose of making money and selling records. They have sold out to the point where their new hit song sounds almost like and rnb rip off. I don't like Good Charlotte and honestly as musicians they have really lost all respect and most bands like them. In my own opinion I would say that the music they are creating is just a gimick to make more money this is no longer about music or the music culture it's just about a good retirement investment thanks to all who buy their hot song mad to play with your emotions and money.
    Eamon Fethers
    crazymnm wrote: rubysoho8779 wrote: redSG wrote: Wow where did all the Good Charlotte people come from? UG used to be overflowing with GC haters. Including myself yeah and it's about damn time y'all showed up! i'm tired of being on here all by myself against you guys, and by guys i mean that...guys. boys. male species. girls love GC, and some guys love them too, so get over it. get used to it, we're not going away. it's about time this place become more diverse, and not just full of classic rock and metal loving boys. You're a disgrace to humanity
    yeh that was some piss poor comment right there
    Leonheart
    Ug's review was pretty good but a little harsh. I found keep your hands off my girl a decent song but the lyrics were ridiculous. And this river or whatever was pretty good.
    crazymnm
    rubysoho8779 wrote: redSG wrote: Wow where did all the Good Charlotte people come from? UG used to be overflowing with GC haters. Including myself yeah and it's about damn time y'all showed up! i'm tired of being on here all by myself against you guys, and by guys i mean that...guys. boys. male species. girls love GC, and some guys love them too, so get over it. get used to it, we're not going away. it's about time this place become more diverse, and not just full of classic rock and metal loving boys.
    You're a disgrace to humanity
    tbarrettl
    If they hit a low the only way is up from an awful record like this one sounds to be.
    billyof bodom71
    K!!LsWiTcH : alexxero wrote: i don't get it why you say about joel like he's the whole band, that only the voice is important, like the guitar and the rest doesn't exists. I think the sound is freaking great have you asked them about their influences? i guess now maybe they went on another direction. You Wanna hear the same old thing forever? or you wanna hear something new and diferent? Why do you say comercial? because it is more melodic? it's normal for them to make more melodic songs because that is what sounds. i don't agree with you. dude you are really retarded. if they have a pop sound, its usually the furthest thing from "different". You are obviously a complete vagina and they really dont sound that good
    hahahahahahahaha, you are absolutely right, gc doesnt sound good at all. and if he thinks they are different, he is an idiot. lmao
    The Rock King
    Maybe they didn't put the "pop" element in it to make it sell. Maybe they liked it and put it in for themselves...? Just a suggestion. Good review. Don't agree though.
    Stay Up Late
    I heard a few of the songs on this album and from what I heard, it was pretty bad. Some of their older music was okay, but this album isn't too good.
    mercurymay
    i like the river. i'm a huge a7x fan and i think that m shadows and synyster gates did a disservice to their fans by collaborating with GC, but it's a good song.
    Nexu
    jincasa wrote: theyre alright, havnt heard the album as of yet, but maby its not pop because synyster gates and m.shadows were featured on the album? people have to use common sense, syn isnt going to be all poppy and shit, hes going to be dark and heavy
    I doubt a few lines from someone will automatically make it different. plus Synyster Gates? Gareth Gates more like. All modern metal morons.
    lessthanweezer7
    Good Charlotte may not be talented in any way at all...but its not because they're popppy...they're just bad musicians. Anyone with a melodic sense can write a hook...but can they write a song? Good Charlotte fails at the latter.
    unknownalone
    ^yes, someone else who realizes that words dont always have to rhyme. ive yet to hear this album, but i liked their first 2, heard the 3rd, my ex had it, but i tell ya what, whenever i hear "i just wanna live" i wanna get up and dance like it aint no ones business
    mattyadams
    I love this album. I recon its their best yet. I dont see how you can say they are trying to sound popular because I havent heard anything else like this album. They make songs they like with their influences.
    jude(STF)
    pop is what good charlotte do best, and they arent avoiding that in any way here, if you dont like that, dont listen to it. dance floor anthems is a great song, and who cares if some stuff doesnt rhyme?
    Rockshazaam
    Its utter bullshit they need to get back to writing proper rock riffs rather than crappy dance tunes. Most of it sounds like it could have been a failed debut.
    jincasa
    theyre alright, havnt heard the album as of yet, but maby its not pop because synyster gates and m.shadows were featured on the album? people have to use common sense, syn isnt going to be all poppy and shit, hes going to be dark and heavy
    Toady
    Keep Ya Hands Off My Girl is a shit song, I'm so impressed with the rest of the album though. It's very polished so it might not appeal to "real music" snobs, but they have some absolute masterpieces on there, in my opinion. Their writing has come a long way since they started, and particularly since their 3rd album which I thought was a poor effort.
    mosh_rocker2006
    haha i knew when i heard the single that this would be a horrible album, BUT...i would assume it's better than their 1st go.
    Emma_Loves_Cops
    Pretty good review ill have to listen to the album before i can agree or disagree with it though.... Good Job on the Review!
    alexxero
    i don't get it why you say about joel like he's the whole band, that only the voice is important, like the guitar and the rest doesn't exists. I think the sound is freaking great have you asked them about their influences? i guess now maybe they went on another direction. You Wanna hear the same old thing forever? or you wanna hear something new and diferent? Why do you say comercial? because it is more melodic? it's normal for them to make more melodic songs because that is what sounds. i don't agree with you.