The Chronicles Of Life And Death review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
Good Charlotte: The Chronicles Of Life And Death

They are the most experimental band to add in instrumental (violins and the lot) to their songs. Given with their reputation as punk-pop-rock, they managed to pull it off and make them sound more unique. The instruments and vocals are nicely mixed so no one instrument or vocal sound way too loud than the other. The songs are pretty catchy. I like the little guitar solo they did in SOS.

Their lyrics are darker and there's a lot of thoughts. There isn't much playful ones like they have in the Young and the Hopeless. They did not sing about dad leaving and being left alone like they did in the previous album. The lyrics for "I Just Wanna Live" is like having them trying to "retort" against what other people said about them and make reference to one of their hit single from The Young And The Hopeless, "Lifestyles Of The Rich And The Famous."

Initially, when I first heard this cd, I wasn't that enthusiastic because I prefer The Young And The Hopeless album. But after I heard it for a few more times, I start to like the sound to it and is actually quite refreshing from what other band of the same genre sound like. They really do not care about what other people say about them, if not they would not have try to add in instrumental. The songs are catchy after listening for a while and you'll find yourself trying to strum and sing along with them. Most of the songs in this album are my favourites and I have different reasons for liking each of them because they are different in their own way. And, I must add, Billy draws really well!