The Chronicles Of Life And Death review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
Good Charlotte: The Chronicles Of Life And Death

In their first 2 albums Good Charlotte had a very distinctive punk and a very 'teenage' sound to their music but as they have grown into their third album their music style seems to have grown with them with a very rocky feel to it. I kind of like their new grown up style but I still think that their talents lie in their roots of punk/pop. I do however like many tracks on the new album including 'Predictable' and 'The Chronicles Of Life And Death' which do still have that element of the old Good Charlotte hidden inside them but I don't think they will ever live up to songs such as 'The Anthem' and 'Lifestyles Of The Rich And The Famous.' This new change in Good Charlotte brings in new songs such as 'The Truth' and 'We Believe' which have more of a rock feel in them and a much maturer sound.

Overall I think the lyrics to most of the songs are fantastic and very cleverly written. With songs written as deep and meaningful as 'Ghost Of You' and 'Predictable' you can not give a bad impression of the lyrics on this album. Joel is a fantastic singer and sings the lyrics with passion and as if they actually mean something to him. It would be better though if someone else in the band would sing a bit more so that it wasn't Joel all of the time.

I think this album rocks and compares well against many other artists and many other albums. The only album it wouldn't beat would be any of the old Good Charlotte material as I liked their old style slightly better. I love the fact that every song is slightly different and enjoyable in its own certain way. I also love the fact that this album has shown to me that Good Charlotte aren't just a punk band but they can also do other aspects of music and still sound great. If I ever lost this album I would definately be in the nearest shop within seconds to buy a new one but touch wood, that will never happen.