The Chronicles Of Life And Death review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
Good Charlotte: The Chronicles Of Life And Death

Previously thrown into the punk category with bands like Blink 182. Good Charlotte were known for their simplistic and seemingly repetitive tracks. In The Chronicles Of Life And Death, they have talen a huge step out of the punk pile, and I feel it is a step in the right direction. They have in no way ceased to use the powerchords that got them to where they are, but they have introduced numerous new sounds to their music. These include string ensambles, synthesisers and piano. They have also taken the step to experimenting with both acoustic and electric guitars. Track 4, SOS, I feel really displays there talent it uses both acoustic and electric guitars, and has a cracking solo. Their sound has definatly improved since the early days.

The Chronicles of Life and Death really displays Joel Maddens song-writing skills. The lyrics are no longer about Girls not linking boys, they are now an intelligent representation of the band. The vocal skills are not the best, but is still easy to listen to (Slipknot take note). Songs like Ghost of You and The Truth have very intelligent lyrics, using a slow sad voice. While SOS and The World Is Black keep the music happy, but you still feel yourself feeling for the party in question. Definately the most talented album lyric wise I have seen for a long time.

COLAD is much better than the first album, and about equal with Young and The Hopeless. It also displays Good Charlottes superiority over Blink 182, etc. Songs to check out are SOS and The World is Black, Songs to avoid (theyre actually not that bad) are The Truth and We Believe. If this CD was lost I would definately by it again. I would give it a 4.5, but 4 will do.