The Young and the Hopeless review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Jan 13, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Good Charlotte: The Young and the Hopeless

This second CD from the popular pop-punk band Good Charlotte is very promising indeed. Complete with crappy harmonies and annoyingly simplistic guitar parts, it is by far the most talentless CD I have heard in a long time--it's perfect for all of you mainstream, radio-friendly punk rockers. They are the most innovative band since Blink-182--wait--innovative isn't the word. I think the word I was searching for was talentless. I still cannot see why this band needs two guitarists. It just makes them sound crappier. The only stuff they are talented to put two guitar parts into has about 4 different notes.

Wow, these lyrics are amazing. When finished with the CD I felt so complete, so finished. I think I just finished listening to the crappiest lyrics I've ever heard. I almost killed myself listening through the whole CD. The singer is delightfully whiny and moans himself to death. I just love hearing him sing about "my girlfriend broke up with me ten years ago" and "daddy, why did you hurt me so?" and "girls are selfish" and "the music industry is mean to me". Do they really think we WANT to hear them whine about their miserable lives? I sure don't. And does anybody else find these lyrics ironic? "Lifestyles of the rich and the famous, they're always complaining." Hmm...Good Charlotte are rich and famous, and here they are complaining about other rich and famous people complaining. I find that very amusing.

I love this CD's way of declaring self-idiocy. In a nutshell this CD sucks. It's the worst I've ever listened to in my life. Go listen to something talented like The Beatles, Clapton, Metallica, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Megadeth, etc. Now, with all those infinately better bands in mind, go listen to some TALENTED music such as those I just listed.