The Young and the Hopeless review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Jan 13, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Good Charlotte: The Young and the Hopeless

Hey, wait a minute, I think I've heard this before. Wait let me think. Oh yeah, sound like Simple Plan? You bet it does. There is nothing unique about this sound, nothing that makes you go "Now that is one kick ass lick" or "I want to go learn how to play that song." They use simple chords, and are turning into Lynard Skynard, in the sense that they have multiple guitar players doing the work of one. What? I'm forgetting the bass guitar? There's a bassist in that band? You could have fooled me!

First off, the lyrics sound exactly the same as Simple Plan lyrics. Both are whiny, and do nothing but complain about how they don't like this or "girls are selfish" or "my parents beat me because I suck at playing and singing and I have no talent of my own." I don't want to spend 14 bucks on a cd that features nothing but whining *punk-rock* lyrics. Listen, if you want punk, go turn on some Rancid.

I think that the major success of this album is mainly due to the fact that most people who buy the cd don't have any musical background themselves. They think that anyone who makes it on MTV or in this case Nickelodeon which is a kid friendly channel is so unbelieveably cool that they should tell their friends to buy the cd because they sing about all their problems and how much they hate their life. In short, Good Charolette is a bunch of pre-pubecsent little boys dancing around with guitars saying "look mommy, i can play 4 chords now!"