The Young and the Hopeless review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Jan 13, 2003
Good Charlotte: The Young and the Hopeless

Good Charlotte's guitarists don't play anything too difficult, it's mainly just 3 chords and 3 notes, but they carry the songs and add energy, aggression, and that rock edge. Theres usually a good riff/solo in every song. The bass player is great, he doesn't sound like he's playing unplugged like alot of bassists, you can hear the bass well. Its very catchy sounding and goes along with the songs well. The drumwork is superb, probably the best played instrument on the album. Very unpredictable and very fast at times. There is lots of different styles of music on this album, which gives it a fresh feeling and will make you not want to stop listening anytime soon. There's pop (Lifestyles Of The Rich & Famous, Girls & Boys), rock (The Young & The Hopeless, Movin On), emo (My Bloody Valentine, Hold On, Say Anything) and lots of other influences can be found throughout the album, for instance: some of the vocals in Riot Girl sound influenced by Rancid, the song "The Day That I Die" has a total Social Distortion type vibe, Girls & Boys sounds like it was influenced by an 80's new wave song, etc. Every song has a different tone to it as well. Some songs are fast paced pop-punk songs (The Anthem, Story Of My Old Man, Riot Girl, The Young & The Hopeless, Movin On), while others are mid-paced pop-rock songs (Wondering, Girls & Boys, The Day That I Die), and some are slow-paced pop ballads (Say Anything, Emotionless). These light touches make Good Charlotte's sound stand out from all the other bands in the pop-punk-rock genre.

The lyrics on this album are done well. Good Charlotte seem very sincere with their lyrics, and they rarely write about love and girls, and I applaud them for that. Many topics are covered, such as: not wanting to conform with others, famous people, absent fathers, materialism, comic horror, suicide, having fun before you die, what the world thinks of achievements, and moving on while keeping your faith. The fact that there many different topics covered and that GC has a great variety of different types of music make this album seem incredibely fresh and fun to listen to. What I mean is theres a song for any mood that your in.

This is a great album that never seems to get old. Its infectious, fun to rock out to, and very accessible to fans of pop, rock, emo, punk (thats stretching it a bit, but still), or just any kind of music. Don't let the bad talk around GC get in the way of your opinion, just judge them by what you think.