The Young and the Hopeless review by Good Charlotte

• Released: Jan 13, 2003
Good Charlotte: The Young and the Hopeless

The recording quality is great. Although the guitar(s) lack substance, the tracks have lots of hooks and catchy choruses. I like the sound of the drums, they have a huge sound with a lot of bass. Like on the intro to "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

Lyrics are actually pretty good. I'm guessing Joel wrote all of these lyrics, considering most of these songs are about being hurt or how his daddy doesn't like him anymore. But again, like the guitar, the lyrics lack substance. Most of the lyrics are just not very descriptive at all and barely give enough to know what he's talking about. That's pretty much what all of the lyrics are like. Well, at least Joel can sing. Yes, he really can sing.

I like guitar driven music. I like hearing guitar riffs, solos, and fills. Despite the fact that this record barely has anything close to a solo or even a decent riff, I still find myself listening to this record. The choruses are catchy, and they are addicting. If this record were lost, and I had $15 laying around, I'd definitely buy it. The impressions I got when I heard this record were nothing like the impression I got the first time I saw Good Charlotte dressed like a hardcore punk band.