Gordian Knot review by Gordian Knot

• Released: Mar 5, 1999
Gordian Knot: Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot is somewhat of an instrumental progressive supergroup formed by Cynic's bassist Sean Malone. The album has the perfect blend of jazz fusion, progressive rock, and progressive metal. The sound on the songs are incredibly diverse, from super fast heavy songs to mellow and chill songs that you can really dig. Every instrument plays a crucial role and pulls together the sound of this amazing group to someone beyond what you would expect from a group that few have heard of. Sean Malone's bass playing is instrumental to the songs, but most of his efforts have gone into the composing and arranging of these pieces. The group's drummer, Sean Reinert (also of Cynic) lays down some sweet beats, and is able to keep the time during strange time signatures and fast tempos. John Myung from Dream Theater (chapman stick), Trey Gunn of King Crimson (warr guitar) are both amazing players who have been in the prog business for a long time in two of the most influential progressive bands ever. This album also features Glenn Snelwar from At War With Self, Ron Jarzombek from Spastic Ink, and Adam Levy from Norah Jones all on guitar. Their guitar works is amazing at really lets you get into the music and feel like you're part of it. This group has an unbelievable sound that is rivaled by few.

This album is instrumental, and so there are no vocals and no lyrics in it. Ummm.. the instruments sing? I don't know. UG is being mean and won't let me submit this review without me writing a certain amount under lyrics. Er... Why am I required to fill out the lyrics section for an instrumental album?

This group and album are not very well known, but that doesn't mean that it's not worth getting to know. Pick up a copy of this album if you happen to stumble upon one and you'll understand what I mean. The album flows perfectly (as prog should) and although you got some crazy stuff going on its still good to listen to, and you can really get into it. So if you're looking for a new group to check out, or just want to hear something really powerful and great, look it up, you'll enjoy it.