Pentagram review by Gorgoroth

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 12, 1994
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 4.7 (15 votes)
Gorgoroth: Pentagram
1

Sound — 9
Well, right out of the gate, this is my favorite Gorgoroth album and in my top 5 Black Metal albums. For me, I think this is thier best in the sense that only a few songs off of certain albums lived up to anything off of "Pentagram". I think it does incredibly well on all corners of each member's contribution, musicality, and influence on Metal. It's just good old Black Metal... Nothing much to say. Vocals, check. Tremolo - yet somehow almost melodic - guitar, check. Inhuman double badd drumming, check.

Lyrics — 8
Now, I haven't found this album anywhere in stores, and Gorgoroth refuses that thier lyrics be posted online, so I can't say much about them. Although, when it comes to vocals, I'd take Hat over Gaahl and Pest anyday, so that makes this album even better for me. Hat's screeching goes with the tone of the album so nicely, and he keeps up with Samoth very well.

Overall Impression — 10
Looking at Black Metal as a mass, this is one of the groundbreaking albums. "Deathcrush", "Dark Medieval Times", "Welcome To Hell"; it's great even put up against records like these. The best songs for Infernus' guitarwork are "Ritual" and "Drommer Om Dod", in my opinion; and Goat Pervertor's drumwork is consistent and well done. His short-lived presence in the band was worth it's while. As I said, Hat is at his best. I also think Gorgoroth tried and pretty mcuh succeeded to bring back the initial feeling of the first three albums with Gaahl and King Ov Hell gone. My track picks for this album are: "Ritual" - Starts off strong with a transition that keeps you interested the whole time. "(Under) The Pagan Megalith" - A very well done track, nothing more to say. "Huldrelokk" - Amazing instrumental.

26 comments sorted by best / new / date

    EpiExplorer
    Gorgoroth is one of the worst bands to release material ever. Not because its satanic or whatever, blah blah blah, its just musicaly shit and indredibly dull. That said, their live shows rape Watain, so there I guess o.0
    jimmy-moto
    I think we read perfectly well, but it is in fact you who does not write very well. If you were to separate your thoughts properly, the two ideas would not be related. For example: "Roflz, I cant take him seriously. Also, he's gay (really, he is gay, really) and now works in theatre." However, you stated his sexual orientation right after you say you can't take him seriously, which in fact does imply that his orientation is your reason for not taking him seriously. Please do us all a favour and stop polluting the comments with your illogical arguments.
    jod23
    gorgorth reminds me of that place in mordor in middle earth, their a bunch of knukleheads
    swave75
    I pretty much like all Gorgoroth's singers. They have had like 100 different people in Gorgoroth so each album has a slightly different feel to them.
    FearOfTheDuck
    EpiExplorer wrote: krvolok wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Gorgoroth is one of the worst bands to release material ever. I'd lock your door tonight,Gaahl might come knocking. Roflz, I cant take him seriously, he's gay (really, he is gay, really) and now works in theatre.
    Now now! Don't use gay as a derogative term children!
    Thrash.aholic
    EpiExplorer wrote: ThrashUnleashed wrote: You don't take homosexuals seriously? I dont take Ghaal seriously. READ BETTUR.
    Try typing BETTUR. You definitely implied that you don't take Ghaal seriously because he's gay.
    EpiExplorer wrote: Roflz, I cant take him seriously, he's gay
    EpiExplorer
    jimmy-moto wrote: Butthurt, pains in my butt, oh the pain.
    Its not even an argument, its just you lot being all 'BLAAA, HE IGNORAAANT' when your own need/want/desire/raging boner has made you closed minded and shut off to interpretation. So, to end this pointless, drawn-out squabble over who has the more contrived, dictionary perfect vocabulary (not necessarily logic), I'll just use a quote from Gaahl himself when he had to discuss the subject: 'Mankind is known to be narrow-minded, so... maybe some [will have a negative reaction]. But I guess it will even out the score in a way. I think it will be positive for some and negative for some. It's always good to have some negative as well. Otherwise you would end up with equality and equality is the worst thing in the world. Equality is stagnation. It doesn't let anything grow. It holds back.'
    ETHANEVIL
    ThrashUnleashed wrote: I love how nearly none of the comments are about my review or the album itself
    gorg is just one of those bands I guess. I know Ima get hate for this, but look at the comments section for bvbs we stitch these wounds. I know bvb, and gorg are very different, but the fact of the matter general is that Comment sections are just battle grounds for grinding opinions. First ya.got the people who love them saying 'they're so awesome' then the haters saying 'this is shit' than the lovers: 'your ignorant, open your mind' and pretty much a war like that, then ya get people like me who say SHUTUPANDENJOYITFORWHATITIS!!!!! Trying to take comment sections seriously is just a waste of time.
    krvolok
    jimmy-moto wrote: I think we read perfectly well, but it is in fact you who does not write very well. If you were to separate your thoughts properly, the two ideas would not be related. For example: "Roflz, I cant take him seriously. Also, he's gay (really, he is gay, really) and now works in theatre." However, you stated his sexual orientation right after you say you can't take him seriously, which in fact does imply that his orientation is your reason for not taking him seriously. Please do us all a favour and stop polluting the comments with your illogical arguments.
    This whole thing refers back to me because I said that he,EpiExplorer,should lock his door tonight because of what he said abut Gorgoroth,because Gaahl might come knocking,the rest you get.
    krvolok
    ThrashUnleashed wrote: You don't take homosexuals seriously?
    Gay or not the man is just a sideshow really. I really not like to compare people like this but just take a look at Gaahl and Rob Halford....
    EpiExplorer
    emil_sej wrote: As far as I've read, Gaahl is homosexual, but I don't see what this has to do with this review.. Gaahl wasn't on this album.
    ThrashUnleashed wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: ThrashUnleashed wrote: You don't take homosexuals seriously? I dont take Ghaal seriously. READ BETTUR. You seemed to list his sexuality as a reason you don't.
    Neither of you read very well. All that has been laid before you is.. before you. I dont take Gaahl seriously not because of his preferences or the hilarious stereotype thats attatched, its just because his life story as portrayed by the media is very funny to me. And yes, Ghaal wasn't in Gorgoroth untill '98, but if you see the response to another earlier comment that was on an unrelated note, you'll understand. Everyone loves to twists words into what they want them to mean, good thing to see it hasn't changed and I'm not in the afterlife or something.
    ThrashUnleashed
    EpiExplorer wrote: ThrashUnleashed wrote: You don't take homosexuals seriously? I dont take Ghaal seriously. READ BETTUR.
    You seemed to list his sexuality as a reason you don't.
    emil_sej
    As far as I've read, Gaahl is homosexual, but I don't see what this has to do with this review.. Gaahl wasn't on this album.
    EpiExplorer
    ThrashUnleashed wrote: You don't take homosexuals seriously?
    I dont take Ghaal seriously. READ BETTUR.
    EpiExplorer
    krvolok wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Gorgoroth is one of the worst bands to release material ever. I'd lock your door tonight,Gaahl might come knocking.
    Roflz, I cant take him seriously, he's gay (really, he is gay, really) and now works in theatre.
    Raven_Flight
    "Double badd drumming" xD I've only heard random songs of Gorgoroth that I liked and pop up once in a while on my PC. May be time to check out a record.
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: Gorgoroth is one of the worst bands to release material ever.
    I'd lock your door tonight,Gaahl might come knocking.