Pentagram Review

artist: Gorgoroth date: 09/01/2011 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Gorgoroth: Pentagram
Released: Oct 12, 1994
Genre: Black Metal
Label: Embassy
Looking at Black Metal as a mass, this is one of the groundbreaking albums. I think it does incredibly well on all corners of each member's contribution, musicality, and influence on Metal.
 6.9
 4.7
review (1) 26 comments vote for this album:
Pentagram Reviewed by: ThrashUnleashed, on september 01, 2011

Sound: Well, right out of the gate, this is my favorite Gorgoroth album and in my top 5 Black Metal albums. For me, I think this is thier best in the sense that only a few songs off of certain albums lived up to anything off of "Pentagram". I think it does incredibly well on all corners of each member's contribution, musicality, and influence on Metal. It's just good old Black Metal... Nothing much to say. Vocals, check. Tremolo - yet somehow almost melodic - guitar, check. Inhuman double badd drumming, check. // 9

Lyrics: Now, I haven't found this album anywhere in stores, and Gorgoroth refuses that thier lyrics be posted online, so I can't say much about them. Although, when it comes to vocals, I'd take Hat over Gaahl and Pest anyday, so that makes this album even better for me. Hat's screeching goes with the tone of the album so nicely, and he keeps up with Samoth very well. // 8

Overall Impression: Looking at Black Metal as a mass, this is one of the groundbreaking albums. "Deathcrush", "Dark Medieval Times", "Welcome To Hell"; it's great even put up against records like these. The best songs for Infernus' guitarwork are "Ritual" and "Drommer Om Dod", in my opinion; and Goat Pervertor's drumwork is consistent and well done. His short-lived presence in the band was worth it's while. As I said, Hat is at his best. I also think Gorgoroth tried and pretty mcuh succeeded to bring back the initial feeling of the first three albums with Gaahl and King Ov Hell gone. My track picks for this album are: "Ritual" - Starts off strong with a transition that keeps you interested the whole time. "(Under) The Pagan Megalith" - A very well done track, nothing more to say. "Huldrelokk" - Amazing instrumental. // 10

Comments